The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
RL Reeves Jr
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Sausage Casings:Non Animal Guts

Anybody working with non animal guts casings on their sausage projects? We just spent the last few hours banging out a mammoth batch of sausage using hog intestines and are wondering about other products.

We had about 4 dozen ruptures over the course of the evening/afternoon and after tearing half our hair out are left to wonder if there's not a better way.

We did the warm water soak and have been working with handmade sausage for about 18 months now.

Probably just got a weak gut batch but are curious about what else is out there?

Anybody working with plant protein based casings?
RL Reeves Jr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 3

I've used the collagen casings from Sausage Maker several times.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/collagencasings.aspx

I don't have problems with them blowing out. They work well and are really easy to use. But they don't twist tie. You have to tie them off with butcher twine (unless I'm doing something wrong). That can be tedious. They also don't roll / bend as easily. I find the fresh ones a good thickness. The smoked ones are a little too thick when bitten into. I think these might be better in some respects, but worse in others... I'm not sure because I haven't used natural yet, but have some in my fridge for next time.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #3
Teamfour
is One Chatty Farker

I use collagen for breakfast sausage. Tried them for andouille but didn't like the texture. Back to hog casings for my big sausage.
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Collagen is an animal extract. Sausagemaker also sells a vegetatarian casing which they say is very similar to collagen. I haven't tried it.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/27801veg...sings23mm.aspx

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

I use both casings, Collagen (Standard) and Animal (Pig and Sheep).

The Collagen casings are slightly tougher when eating the sausage and do not give the "crunch" when you bite into them like the Animal Intestines do. The trick to to using either is to let the stuffer do the work for you. Too much resistance when filling and either can rupture...

Unread 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
Yellowhair42
Take a breath!

You're probably not putting enough water in them when you put them on the stuffer horn.It should have lots of extra water INSIDE the casing for lubrication when stuffing.Use one hand to guide the stuffed casing and the other to keep tension on the unstuffed casing.Keep the wad of unstuffed casing near the end of the horn where the sausage is coming out.Also,make sure you soak them long enough before hand so they're fully hydrated and flexible.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use both natural and collagen. Last batch I used these pre-lubed natural casings...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=148471

They were great!! Pricey but really handy!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
RL Reeves Jr
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for all the great advice y'all. Taking notes, at least we got the flavor part down right.

Unread 02-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
RL Reeves Jr
Knows what a fatty is.

Everybody freaked out on the sausage last night at our big food party. We're slowly converting Austin into a boudin town! Looking forward to experimenting with those collagen casings, got a big batch on order.

Thanks from:--->

Tags
hot guts, intestines, sausage