MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Knife Sharpening

I have friends who have bought the new system sharpeners, all sorts of brands and designs.
I don't have any friends with sharper knives than mine.
That is why I still maintain the outback attitude I grew up with, enforced at every turn and in all honesty, born of neccesity I guess.
There were few shops and when things break or go wrong you are better off being as skilled as you can be.
That's why I live in the city now.

So, here it is.
The new Japanese developed grit stones are amazing.

I was five when I learned to use a stone, and it was my job.
I would sit in a bunch of adults and they would pass me their knives and take a break while I worked it and put a good edge back on.
Everyone had a job back then.
Well, these new stones are just incredible in comparison, and if I were to tell you what I really believe is the best thing you could choose, it would be to buy one and watch some youtube tutorials or online vids by experts and practice on some inexpensive knives.
If a five year old can learn this skill, then I reckon you can...even if you are American (Hah, gottcha...you KNEW I was gunna, somewhere :laugh)
I bought a JCK stone from these guys
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Wh...esForSale.html
delivery within the week.
It is faster and a universal skill, and the sharpness cannot be beaten.
You no longer have to depend on your system all working and breakages or wrong adjustments, order new parts and fart around....you put the stone on the table and wet it and in 5 minutes you have a gleaming razor sharp edge.
Wash the stone and you are done.
Now, if you are out bush or somewhere and you have no sharpener you can , with a little ingenuity, use your skill with some other hard surface and still improve an edge!!
Plus, womenfolk think it is way manly!

Old 01-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

You had me at "womenfolk".

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
landarc

What grit did you get? And isn't that a fancy pants carry for a big ol' outdoorsy type like you?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
What grit did you get? And isn't that a fancy pants carry for a big ol' outdoorsy type like you?
I got the basic dual 4000/1000 landarc.
Yes, but I have worked hard for decades to get some metrosexual sofistimacation going on.
They no longer allow me to enter rodeo's, pardner

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

My guy charges me $6 per knife,which I feel is fair for the quality job I get. At $65 it seems like a worthwhile investment. Thanks for posting!
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

I cant get an edge on a knife if my life depended on it. I bought an electric chefs choice

Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That is the way I have sharpened knives, chisels and gouges forever.... I use a coarse diamond stone, then move to 2 different grits of Japanese water stones and finish the knives with a leather strop until it shines at you. The test for sharpness is the ability to cut the hairs on my leg or arm.
Glad to see other people still do it that way.

But I agree with Landarc. Pretty fancy pants knife there....... :)

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
I got the basic dual 4000/1000 landarc.
Yes, but I have worked hard for decades to get some metrosexual sofistimacation going on.
They no longer allow me to enter rodeo's, pardner
That happens when you interfere with Animals
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've been doing a bunch of reading on this subject since I asked you about it Bucc, which led me to another forum, which I will not post here as it I believe is against the TOU, considering how often we bring up knives. I'm in agreement with this mentality. I'm going the route of putting a good, sharp edge the manual method. Seems like a lot more fun in either event.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Hey Buccs how about you travel to the states and give me a demonstration. I'll supply the knives and the stone if you can figure out a way to get here. I'd even buy you a beer or two.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Bucc what kind of knife is that?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
landarc

Looks like a Hiro BM custom Damascus belt knife, from Seki City, Japan. I can't tell if it;s the lighting or the actual blade, but, it looks like true Damascus, and not the laminated stainless they do in Seki City.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
gtr

Thanks for posting, bucc - good stuff!

I haven't looked at that site in a while. Most excellent knife pron there.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

I will be picking one of these up for sure. I can imagine now the look on my wife's face when I tell her I'm going out into the garage to sharpen my knives.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
landarc

I sharpen in my kitchen. You need good light to do a good job sharpening a knife. If you can afford it, a strop or strop stone (even better) is a good investment.

Actually, I generally prefer not to take my knife beyond 4000 grit for kitchen work. The super fine polish of finer stones and hand-polished edges feels great, and the whole slicing paper thing is cool. But, a 3000 to 4000 grit edge leaves a little tooth, it makes starting cuts a lot nicer and gives the blade a 'feel' when cutting.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]