ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Shiz-Nit
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Jambo/Yoder YS1320/R&O or keep what I got?

Question -
between a jambo, yoder ys1320 pellet smoker or an R&O smoker. which would you pick?

Question 2 -
I think I may want a new smoker for comps and some catering and the above is some I am looking at (but the list keeps growing). I already have the following smokers;
backwoods compeditor, lg BGE, 22.5 WSM. I have been thinking on adding the yoder pellet smoker to my current smokers as well.
so with that said I think it is a PAIN in the BUTT in loading what I already have and going to a comp or catering gig. I was thinking on selling the backwoods compeditor and going with a trailed pit like a jambo or R&O.

Next I have been doing quite well in comps with the BW and i have never cooked on a jambo or R&O so I am kind of worried about making a big jump.

Question 3 -
How much does a good used BW compeditor go for?

Question 4 -
if you where tiered of lugging all that stuff around and went with one smoker what would you go with?

Unread 01-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I think that the question of which cooker(s) to use in a competition depends largely on your personal situation: How do you plan to transport your cookers? How do you plan to transport your other stuff? How do you plan to setup your cook site? Do you have any preferences on hot n' fast vs low n' slow?

If you have an enclosed trailer with a ramp, then something on casters is really easy, wether it's a PCC, Klose, Yoder, Jambo backyard, or one of the many cabinet smokers. The enclosed trailer can also haul the rest of your stuff. If you have an RV, van, large SUV, or the like, then something on a trailer might make more sense to you. If your RV has a patio or you get a pull-behind trailer with one, then you can mount just about whatever you want to it: I've seen FECs, BWS, Meat Monsters, and just about everything in between mounted like that. It's really hard to say without knowing your logistic situation.

On the other hand, there's the hot n' fast vs low n slow question. I've seen teams cook low n' slow and hot n fast on cabinet smokers and do well. Most of the teams that I've seen cook on Jambos do it hot n fast. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I can think of one team (that's on the Brethren) that used to cook on WSMs, got a Jambo, and then adjusted their whole schedule to cook hot n fast as a result. They do pretty well:) I know another brethren who has a custom built stick burner, moved to a cabinet to cook hot n fast on it, and is going back to the stick burner this year. He's done pretty well over the years as well. There is the question of what puts out the best Q, but I've seen teams with all types of cookers (gravity, BWS, Pellet, and Jambo) do well. For what it's worth, one of the top teams in the country last year cooks on BWS. The top team in this area the past few years cooks on a Spicewine. Another top team in the area cooks on FECs, and a lot of top traveling teams cook on Jambos something that looks very similar. How late do you want to stay up and how early do you want to wake up?

If money weren't an option, for the purchase or fuel, I'd get an RV with a patio and then have something mounted on the patio. Meat Monster would be toward the top of my list. Maybe a BWS or Gravity fed. The good thing with those three is that I think they can be used pretty successfully HnF or LnS. Of course, some teams do very well with WSMs, both HnF and LnS. Answer questions for yourself first.

dmp

EDIT: A pit on casters being "really easy" is relative and depends on the cooker. My Offset cabinet smoker was on casters and about 1,500 lb when I got it. I tried to get it on and off of trailers, and it was too much work. I mounted it on a trailer instead. Other pits are 200-300 pounds and much easier. I think that the Onyx oven can be carried by one person. Size, weight, and wheels matter.
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

How much capacity do you think you will need to cater? I'm sold on the Jambo, but I don't know that I'd plan to feed the masses. I've cooked on the J3 and Backyard and been very happy with the product they turned out.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Bonkers789
Knows what a fatty is.

I have the Fatgirl from R&O and have cooked on his big trailer pit both are awesome .
Bonkers789 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

I'd say get the Yoder, mount it and the Competitor on a 16' open trailer along with a stainless table or 2 and cook contests or cater from right off the back.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
G'pa Herb
Found some matches.

Question 5: Do you like getting a sleep at comps?

No problem getting sleep with the Yoder YS1320! No need to maintain the fire all night.

The 1320 is about 600 pounds, but is real easy to load and unload by one person, I guess unless you weigh 110 pounds and wear flipflops.

A suggestion: get a sinewave power inverter and deepcycle battery so you don't have to worry about comp power.
G'pa Herb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

as dmp said, without know ALL the logistics, kinda hard to say.

but, if catering is in the picture i'd opt for the spice single axle over the jambo for a trailered cooker.

if smaller catering, and mostly focused on comp, i'd go with two chubby G2's.

i can't imagine the yoder any easier to lug around than the competitor.

businesswise, i'd think the point of dimishing returns would set in with either the r and o or jambo for catering. not enough capacity to cover initial cost, although i'd buy one in a heartbeat if it was even a thought in my head possible in my budget and fark "business cost".

so there ya go, i pointed both fingers over both shoulders.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
Shiz-Nit
is One Chatty Farker

Yes Iike sleep. I have no camper or RV. Just a 4x4 dodge ram truck. I also tend to cook low and slow and ribs around 275. But have done a few cooks hot and fast with good results.

Unread 01-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
redneck cooker
On the road to being a farker

I cook on an custom R&O offset....to me its the best pit on the market....maybe cause Im partial...the owner is my neighbor and I sell a ton of them for him......but buying a pit is just like buying a pick up.....you need to buy what you like and can produce the best bbq on....and that makes you happy......all of our input is worth nothing if you dont like the cooker or not satisfied with the end results...

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck cooker View Post
I cook on an custom R&O offset....to me its the best pit on the market....maybe cause Im partial...the owner is my neighbor and I sell a ton of them for him......but buying a pit is just like buying a pick up.....you need to buy what you like and can produce the best bbq on....and that makes you happy......all of our input is worth nothing if you dont like the cooker or not satisfied with the end results...
i dunno, my pick up doesn't produce very good Q. but i'm not from texas.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
redneck cooker
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
i dunno, my pick up doesn't produce very good Q. but i'm not from texas.

^^^...Ill have to agree with you.....

Unread 01-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Shiz-Nit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck cooker View Post
How does the R&O hold pit temps across the cooking surface and how efficient are they on wood consumption?

Unread 01-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
Pappy Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiz-Nit View Post
Yes Iike sleep. I have no camper or RV. Just a 4x4 dodge ram truck. I also tend to cook low and slow and ribs around 275. But have done a few cooks hot and fast with good results.
I would suggest staying with what you know and are currently comfortable with for comps. Can be a bug learning curve going from the current to any of the others. Just my opinion.
Pappy Q is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post

i can't imagine the yoder any easier to lug around than the competitor.
:
It is due to the fact that it is on a comp cart which makes it a piece of cake to roll around. All 3 are very good smokers but vary greatly in capacity, fuel, and design.
Pitman for All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiz-Nit View Post
Question 3 -
How much does a good used BW compeditor go for?
A good used Competitor goes for about $500 including delivery to Chicago.

Oh look... I happen to have $500 right here.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote