The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Pig Daddy
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Help: How to prep a KCBS pork box?

Can anyone direct me to a YouTube tutorial video (or the like) showing how one goes about selecting and placing the best pieces of a shoulder into a box. I mean something showing specifically what parts to use (horn meat, tubes, money muscle, etc), where and how they are pulled or cut from and how they are then placed into the box for the sake of presentation?

I've read "Award Winning Competetion Pork" via the "Pickled Pig" and it's a great resource, but a video demonstration showing me how to to do it might serve me a bit better.

Thank you!

Unread 01-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Why not just search YouTube for "kcbs pork box" (no quotes)?

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Pig Daddy
Full Fledged Farker

I have. I found a few different ones that have been helpful, but not entirely instructional in nature. Just hoping someone has come across something instructional or tutorial that had helped him/her and can make a recommendation.

Unread 01-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

Classes help out a great deal in this. There's a good amount of them locally available. Other than that, put in only what you feel you cooked the best. If pulled is your best, put it in. It slices are your best, put them in. Check out bbqcritic.com for what real competitiors feel is presentable or doesn't appeal. If you put in chunks, slices, and pulled and two are stellar and one is so so, you will get judged on the so so. Take your time when turning in and practice boxes. Cut out styrofoam and play around with ideas. Sketch it in Google 3-D. You have to be able to think on the fly when it comes to turn in times. If you pulled out your rested meat and it's over-done but you planned on slices and chunks, know how to present pulled pork.

Brew-B-Q BBQ Team
Backwoods Extended Party / FEC100 / Memphis Advantage
cmohr74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

There are a lot of examples in the comp section here, good or bad :)

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

Have you looked here http://www.bbqcritic.com/ ? Not a how to but you can see what others do and what comments judges make. Good for all 4 meats.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
Genesis 3 Gasser
Bradley
Bisquette Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Daddy View Post
I have. I found a few different ones that have been helpful, but not entirely instructional in nature. Just hoping someone has come across something instructional or tutorial that had helped him/her and can make a recommendation.
Have you checked out these? They seem to fit your bill. While not all 100% instructional (but some are) they do show where meat in coming from and how it is placed in the box. Not many great free video tutorials online. But stuff like this helped me. BBQ critic is also great.

(this one is pretty good i think)

(this one is more instructional start what you are looking for around 2mins)

(this one while not instructional show what they put in the box and where from the butt it comes from, video quality not great but decent)

(Shows how they lay it in there)

(Another really good one that show where the meat is coming from and how they put it in the box.)
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/...tion-pork.html

there ya go. take this, make it your own, and run with it.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote