Headed to San Antonio & Austin

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Will be in San Antonio Thursday-Saturday and Austin Sunday-Tuesday. Probably head up to Fredricksburg to hit a couple vinyards Saturday or Sunday and might take a side trip to Lockhart. My wife is on a business trip but I get to play during the day. Any suggestions, restaurants, BBQ supply stores or decent side trips?

It's a beautiful time of year to visit the Lone Star state and there are a multitude of places to go and see. On a recent trip back, I thoroughly enjoyed New Braunfels and ate at Coopers, then on to historic Gruene to roam around Gruene Hall, the oldest dance hall in Texas, filled with music memorabilia and history if you're into that. Also not too far is Shiner, Texas, where Shiner beers are born.
Enjoy.

We just did that last week, minus the Lockhart part, dang it!
It looks like the weather is going to be outstanding so I'd recommend having a sit-down meal or two on SA's riverwalk. We had some great Tex-Mex food at Mexican Manhattan and some awesome drinks at the Esquire. There were too many others to mention - or remember? ;)
Have a great trip!

BBQ not so much in SA. Tex-Mex YES. get down to the river walk go to the Market Square eat at La Margarita if you are hungry get the parriada. Comes with beef ribs, sausage, chix onions peppers, potatoes beans rice ...so lots of food you can ask for to person which will feed @4 or the 4 people Wich will feed 6-8. Or LaFogata they have great margaritas!
If you make it to Lockhart you are doing just fine.

Having lived here for 40-plus years. Get some good Tex-Mex in SA. Mi Tierra will work.

Get out of the city to Cooper's in Llano, City Market or Black's in Lulling, Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor, or Franklin's in Austin. I like The Salt Lick in Driftwood, too. I often use their rub on my ribs.

Food aside, there is some awesome live music playing on Sixth Street in Austin on any Friday and Saturday night.

The town motto is "Keep Austin Weird," and I personally do my best to help the cause. :cool:

CD

Since your with your wife, the Gruene, Texas suggestion above is a good one. Lots of shopping and lots of cold beer. check out the calendar www.gruenehall.com You might get to see the next big thing in Texas country, many shows are free.

Wimberly, Texas has a nice "downtown" to check out as well.

Others clued you in -Tex Mex in either locale will work but Que is decidedly better outside of San Antonio.

If your looking for a nice place ( hopefully she's got the expense account going!) when in Austin www.perlasaustin.com its a seafood and oyster bar on South Congress. Gulf Oysters are in Season and they have been rocking this year!

A bit off topic but what in the wide, wide world of sports is a guy from Arkansas doing reading the Houston Press?

As liberal as it is, its actually a better read than the Chronicle....

I don't normally, but I saw the restaurant headline on the internet news and clicked and read this article.

UPDATE: Headed to San Antonio & Austin

Great visit so far! Little after 10:00 AM and doing the line dance at Franklin's in Austin. Went to Lockhart yesterday. I'll do another update with pics when I get home Thursday or Friday.

Back