The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
cb4004
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Spare rib help, want to nail these

Going to smoke spare ribs tomorrow, would like to try the 3-2-1 method. My question is:
Everything I’ve been reading recommends cook temps at 225, my problem is my drum likes to roll around 260-275. do I just shorten my first cook time to ??? 2hr and wrap time ??? 1hr?
This low and slow is all new to me, I'd really like to nail this one. my first go was over cooked.
cb4004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

@ 275 I usually do 3-1-.5 . Depending on the look going into the foil I will check them after 40 minutes of wrapping. Also you can snuff the oxygen supply to your cooker while the sauce is setting. This way your temp will start to come down and not over cook the ribs in the last few minutes. Good luck

Old 01-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

I tried 3-2-1, came out ok. Followed pitmaster t's high heat vid nod won't o back! Yes, thy come out THAT good!

(See my avatar, smoke ribs with confidence!)

Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

I'd stick to what your cooker does best. Cook 'em straight up with no foiling for 3.5-4.5 hours at 275. Look for the pig honey and listen to the sizzling sound. No need to even peek in order to know how they are doing. You can listen. When sizzling sound starts to get quiet, they are close. Then use bend, toothpick or bone tug test to determine when to remove from cooker.

If you must glaze, add it at the very end and cook for another 15 min to set.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I usually cook at 275 on my egg for 4 hours, no foil. Frequent spritzing with AJ/white vinegar combo.
XL BGE, Cold smokehouse, Kamado Joe Jr, Santa Maria pit, Backwoods Chubby, 26.75" Weber custom performer, Blackstone 36" griddle, MAK One Star pellet cooker, 22"WSM, Jumbo Joe, WGA, Smokey Joe, UDS, Wood fired pizza oven, UUNI

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
http://www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Lilpiggysquealers
Found some matches.

I would go 2 hours then foil for 1 and then see what you've got. You may have to go 2 hours after the foil, but you'll be guaranteed good bark. Foiling really tenderizes the meat so I would just shorten the beginning timeline. And if your cooker is flirting with temps above 275 consider a rub with little sugar because it will burn- get your sweet from finishing sauce.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Roll at 260-275 and follow El Ropo and Marty's post. Forget foil, juice, honey, anything like that. Cook them naked until they pass the bend test. Listen for the sizzle. You are NOT going to NAIL ribs your first time out, just not going to happen. But you will make some really good ribs that you like. And making them simple will give you a base to measure future cooks on. After you have made 50+ racks, and changed your method 50+ times...........Then you can say..............Hey Farkers I Nailed It........ Sorry but good Q comes with lots of work
Weber Q200
1983 WGA
Early 70's Red Weber Statesman
1995 Red Weber Master Touch
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

It is possible to cook great BBQ on a consistent basis with out aluminum foil : 275 3.5-4 hrs neked NO FOIL when thy pass the bend test your done.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
cb4004
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks, no foil it will be... i'll let you know how I did.
cb4004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Above 240 if you foil for more than an hour its going to lead to a big ol mess.
kenthanson is offline   Reply With Quote