拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker
 
rookiedad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-05
Location: patchogue, n.y.
Default the first bite

i have never competed , but i thought it might be fun to enter grill kings this year. now never having done this before i was under the impression that the best way to compete was to try to cook great bbq. my proplem here is that i think great bbq is food that you could actually make a meal out of, and would want to eat more of, but in a recent tread by Dr. bbq and more recently in a podcast by Adam Perry Lang, two winning competitors, it was stated that it would be "hard" to eat a meal composed of the winning ribs due to intense seasonings, and that it was all about the first bite. here is my question. how do you cook this way? i am not asking anyone to part with their secrets, but the only way i can see to get these intense flavors would be through reductions and possibly extracts. but even then i'm not sure that i would be getting what i am looking for(as i also have never judged). perhaps you guys could tell me if i am on the right track.
also, Adam Perry Lang's perfect score rib had something like a peach essence on it right? wouldn't that be getting a little on the outskirts of traditional bbq? i have no problem with trying to cook like this,(i tend to like tamarind as a sauce flavoring) i am just trying to establish some perameters and was hoping that some of those who compete could help. thanks for reading this long winded post!
phil
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-13-03
Location: Clearwater, FL
Default

In competition you aren't concerned with "the outskirts of traditional bbq"...your concern is to convince the judges that they just tasted the best ribs (chicken, pork, brisket) that they've ever put in their mouths.

All you can do is cook and present your best product on that day.
__________________
Dave
Southern Brethren BBQ Competition Team

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin


 
BBQchef33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-03
Location: Long Island, NY
Default

What the Doc is referring to is the WOW factor. You have to get them with ONE BITE. when we make good Q, as we devour serving after serving we are dribbling going 'good stuff'... BUT.. thats not good enuf...

It has to WOW them.. the kind of thing that on the first bite, u get Oh MY GOD!!! and their eyes roll into their heads and their socks go up an down on their legs. It does not have to be intense in the sense of overpowering, but intense in the sense of the best damn thing they ever ate. It does not have to knock there socks off, if i saw a judge just close their eyes and take a second bite with a moan or a smile, Id be just as happy.. It can be powerful and rich spicing, or subtleties and nuisances of spices and combinations, that make them go back to their childhoods, or wonder what the flavor is, that is only there for the second, but makes them savor it trying to figure what it is.... its finding something that in the the 1 minute they eat your entry, they will think that yours is best they EVER had...... then make them go back and eat the REST of yours when the scoring is done.

Complex flavors in spices, interesting sauces(peaches?), or simple spices and great smoke... its the combinations that are what you have to figure out.
__________________
Site Administrator and
Grand PooBah

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy


Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker
 
rookiedad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-05
Location: patchogue, n.y.
Default

i'm with you on this phil! wouldn't this be something you would like to eat more of? thats where i am confused. thanks.
phil
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 07-19-05
Location: Long Island NY
Default

"and their socks go up an down on their legs."

Now that line had me lmfao here at work.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-13-03
Location: Clearwater, FL
Default

'dad...it's not that it's not great! It's that what we turn in is too rich for most people to eat very much of...like a lot of desserts.

My family likes my competition stuff..but love the "regular" bbq. It's a matter of degrees...I use my finishing sauce at home but often they prefer some Sonny's out of the bottle.

I change the injection at home to bring it down a few notches. However, that being said: the brisket we scored 2nd with at Key Largo got a "best I've ever tasted" from my wife.

Comp cooking and home cooking (or bash cooking) are different areas...you have to respect your target audience.
__________________
Dave
Southern Brethren BBQ Competition Team

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #7
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker
 
CharlieBeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-12-05
Location: Owego, NY
Default

Dad
Key Largo was a real eye opener for me as I was under the imperssion that cook great BBQ is what you are looking for. I was overwhelmed afterjust a few bites of the pork, brisket, and ribs. all of which scored well. The amounts, types, and intensity of the sauces were difficult to take. (I did not like the one soy based injection at all it had to me a nasty flavor I could tase over everything and would never use it even if it was the secret key to success but I would bet more than one team did does and will continue to use it.)
I hope to compete next yeat and would love to wash dishes for any and all that need a dishwasher/goofer and would pack a cooker and compete on the drop of a hat because I can cook. Will I win only if as one of the cooks at Key Largo said if all of the people who like my food are judges. Compete, Learn, modify, and try again. every one of the swinging well make that smokers out their started with a first compitetion. Do you best ask questions and have fun! ps if you are looking for a rookie dishwasher let me know! GRiN I'll whore a spot anywhere I can love to cook!
__________________
Charlie Beasley
New Owner of old Bandera (8 years or so)
New Smokette 008 (Love IT)
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2006, 04:43 PM   #8
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

 
The_Kapn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-08-04
Location: Marianna, FL
Default

For the record--Dave and I do not use Soy in the injection.
That is, unless he is keeping secrets from me
Charlie must be talking about another team, I hope

AnyHoo--Charlie is great to have around. If any of the teams up there need some help--look to him.
You will do no better. Great Guy!!!! Fits right in!

"The First Bite" is all ya get. Fact of life.
So, our comp flavors are, in fact, more "labor and $$ intensive" than my recreational Que.
"Stronger"???? Not necessarily so. Recreational is just not as carefully controlled and enhanced as what we do for the $$.
Could I or neighbors eat a full slab of competetion ribs or Butt or Brisket????--sure (I hope). I would hope they would enjoy them all.
But, I can not invest the time, labor, and $$ for recreational que that we spend for the comps.

FWIW.

TIM
__________________
"Flirtin' with Disaster" BBQ Team (RETIRED)
FBA and KCBS Cook and Judge.
Former owner of a WSM, a Smokey Joe, a Charbroil Commercial gasser (junk), the legendary "StudeDera", a FEC100, a Fast Eddy PG500, and Sherman the Wonder Trailer.
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Solidkick's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-21-03
Location: Bandera Owner in Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
What the Doc is referring to is the WOW factor. You have to get them with ONE BITE. when we make good Q, as we devour serving after serving we are dribbling going 'good stuff'... BUT.. thats not good enuf...

It has to WOW them.. the kind of thing that on the first bite, u get Oh MY GOD!!! and their eyes roll into their heads and their socks go up an down on their legs. It does not have to be intense in the sense of overpowering, but intense in the sense of the best damn thing they ever ate. It does not have to knock there socks off, if i saw a judge just close their eyes and take a second bite with a moan or a smile, Id be just as happy.. It can be powerful and rich spicing, or subtleties and nuisances of spices and combinations, that make them go back to their childhoods, or wonder what the flavor is, that is only there for the second, but makes them savor it trying to figure what it is.... its finding something that in the the 1 minute they eat your entry, they will think that yours is best they EVER had...... then make them go back and eat the REST of yours when the scoring is done.

Complex flavors in spices, interesting sauces(peaches?), or simple spices and great smoke... its the combinations that are what you have to figure out.
And to kinda add to what Phil has stated about the WOW factor.....IF someone judging a KCBS contest was to eat all the meat put before them, they would be eating somewhere between 3-4 pounds of meat.....I'm sure there might be someone that could do it....but the rule of thumb is you take one bite to judge and you are given a box to take the rest home in.
__________________
Mr. Kick


------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #10
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Sawdustguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-14-05
Location: Manorville, Long Island
Default

Charlie,

If you want to come down and hang with us during the Grill Kings event this coming year you are more than welcome. We always have plenty of libation and a good card game at night.

Phil,

We are also fairly new at this, and I can tell you that at our level, we are no more concearned with the wow factor, than the man in the moon. We are only concearned with making something good and edible. Something that is moist, tastes fairly good and looks half way decent. We are still green at this and at our level we are more concearned with learning than winning anything. If we are around for a few years and get alot of contests under our belt, maybe then we will worry about the wow factor. For right now this is a hobby. It's something we do for ****s and giggles. Most of the guys worrying about the wow factor are pros like Adam Perry Lang and Doc BBQ. If you are beginner like us, it is not even worth worrying about. Just go out, cook and have some fun. At last years Grill Kings we had a blast. The experience was great and so were the people we met and shared it with.
__________________
Guy (Pitmaster)
BBQ Team: Lawn Guyland Smokers

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2006, 07:11 PM   #11
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker
 
rookiedad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-05
Location: patchogue, n.y.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidkick
And to kinda add to what Phil has stated about the WOW factor.....IF someone judging a KCBS contest was to eat all the meat put before them, they would be eating somewhere between 3-4 pounds of meat.....I'm sure there might be someone that could do it....but the rule of thumb is you take one bite to judge and you are given a box to take the rest home in.
if im not mistaking, i think those guys were refering to the seasonings and or richness of any indavidual group of ribs being "hard" to eat, not the amount that any judge had to eat.
phil
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2006, 07:19 PM   #12
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Kevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-05
Location: Southern Minnesota
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy
Charlie,

If you want to come down and hang with us during the Grill Kings event this coming year you are more than welcome. We always have plenty of libation and a good card game at night.

Phil,

We are also fairly new at this, and I can tell you that at our level, we are no more concearned with the wow factor, than the man in the moon. We are only concearned with making something good and edible. Something that is moist, tastes fairly good and looks half way decent. We are still green at this and at our level we are more concearned with learning than winning anything. If we are around for a few years and get alot of contests under our belt, maybe then we will worry about the wow factor. For right now this is a hobby. It's something we do for ****s and giggles. Most of the guys worrying about the wow factor are pros like Adam Perry Lang and Doc BBQ. If you are beginner like us, it is not even worth worrying about. Just go out, cook and have some fun. At last years Grill Kings we had a blast. The experience was great and so were the people we met and shared it with.
I try to stay out of this forum as I haven't competed "yet". But I seriously hope I can have your attitude my friend. That is exactly what I want to do.
July is the first for me. Non sanctioned with KCBS rules. I just wanna cook and have fun.
__________________
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2006, 07:21 PM   #13
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Sawdustguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-14-05
Location: Manorville, Long Island
Default

They try to concentrate the flavors so that a judge is guaranteed a taste of what you intend in the first bite.
__________________
Guy (Pitmaster)
BBQ Team: Lawn Guyland Smokers

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2006, 07:23 PM   #14
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Solidkick's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-21-03
Location: Bandera Owner in Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad
if im not mistaking, i think those guys were refering to the seasonings and or richness of any indavidual group of ribs being "hard" to eat, not the amount that any judge had to eat.
phil
Yep....understand that....was just adding about the volume that goes before a judge....no way I could eat a slab of our competiton ribs, way too rich....
__________________
Mr. Kick


------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 01-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #15
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Sawdustguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-14-05
Location: Manorville, Long Island
Default

Kevin,

My brother and I truely feel that way. Hey, what the hell do we know. We're just a couple of Fat Polocks, but we are experts at having fun.
__________________
Guy (Pitmaster)
BBQ Team: Lawn Guyland Smokers

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bite through skin? ddog27 Q-talk 5 09-03-2010 06:53 PM
How to get bite through skin? trevthebear Competition BBQ 6 08-31-2010 10:22 PM
Another B2 Bite Bill-Chicago Brethren Bashes 1 09-23-2003 01:21 PM
new bash-bite Panama_Jack Brethren Bashes 0 08-20-2003 06:46 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.