The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Physics202
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Varyable results on ribs

So I cooked two racks of spare ribs yesterday. Both were the same size, and both cooked in the exact same fasion. When I took them out and bit into them, one was nice and juicy, and one was fairly dry. Just curious why this happened. I'm assuming different fat contents? Also, I ended up pulling these off quicker than I had planned because I stuck them with a thermometer and they read 165. I cooked them for just over 5 hours at 250 in a WSM.

Also, I tried the bend test, but depending on how thick the ribs are, I feel the bend test can have variable results. I'm still trying to get a good feel for the toothpick test. Any suggestions for cooking ribs to temperature?
Physics202 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 3

I rarely see huge differences in ribs, but it does happen. Every pig is different. Ribs are no different that butt which can be done anywhere from from 195 to 205. You just got to roll with it. Each piece is going to be slightly different. Let the meat tell you when it is done. Bambo skewers and the bend test is the best i've found.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Two different hogs! The bend test never lies, I never heard of any one temping ribs. I have sid this many times I reckon you missed it"YOU CANNOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY AN INTERNAL TEMP OR MIN PER LB" the best to tools to check Meat is a set of tongs and a broken thermometer, with the exception of Poultry.

Unread 01-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
Untraceable
is One Chatty Farker

I notice it a lot more lately. I cant tell if my palate is just getting better or what but my dream of cooking only 2 racks for a comp are fading. If I cook 3 racks, one will definately stick out from the other either good or bad

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

The toothpick test is a good one also. Slide a toothpick between the bones from the top. If it slides in with out resistance, they're done.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote