The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
lkissell
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Stoker on a Mini WSM?

I have a Weber Smokey Joe Silver that I've set up (but not used) as a mini WSM. I've read that there can be issues with ash build-up clogging the air intake, so I was thinking about using my Stoker.

Does anyone know if the air intake on the Smokey Joe Silver is the same as the intake on an 18" WSM? Rock's makes a fan adapter for the 18" Weber Smokey Mountain, but I'm not sure if it will work in my application.

Thanks!

Unread 01-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

For the Stoker set up all you need is an air hole to connect the blower too. I dont see why it wouldn't work.

Unread 01-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

My main concern would be the location of the vent. I think you'd end up blowing ashes all over your food. I have the Gold set up as a mini WSM, and think the side vent would work a lot better for use with a stoker type device. Maybe consider drilling an additional hole on the side for use with the stoker?
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Not familier with the stoker or the setup as i don't use one, however you can get a stainless steel doggie bowl turn it upside down and punch holes along the side towards the top (bottom) to solve the problem, or you could get a Gold model and solve the problem that way

Unread 01-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
aawa
Babbling Farker

I would think that any type of fan blowing into the small bowl of the Smoke Joe would result in ash being blown around and could result in ash in the cooking chamber.

To prevent ash from getting into a Smoke Joe Silver's Bottom Vent, you can just do the can mod which works no problem at all. If you don't know what it is, just take an empty canned chicken can (or the size of it) punch some holes in the bottom, you can use a church key or a dremel. Put the open top over the bottom vent (bottom end is now up). The ashes will collect around the can and not block the air holes.

Unread 01-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

I have a Guru DigiQ 11 on my full size UDS. There is an adjustable air flap so you can fine tune the amount of air going into the unit.