The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Gravity Fed smokers and Grills

Notices

Gravity Fed smokers and Grills We are the inventors of these Gravity Fed Smokers and Grills. Innovative and efficient, these BBQ Grills and smokers can burn multi-fuel of charcoal, Wood Pellet, Wood Chunks, Wood Logs and reach temps of 300C or 572 F.

Unread 12-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Help! question about big green egg

Some of you have bought my controller to attach to big green egg.
Today one buyer asks me to attach my BURNER to big green egg.
He says when adding coal, there will be a big temperature drop in big green.
He says that if I can do, he can sell a lot.
If attaching a burner, original construction of fire pot and fire ring will not be necessary. If so a plain ceramic barrel shall be good enough.Why big green.
What is your purpose of ceramic pit, low and slow smoking,or fast grilling.
Why ceramic pit over a cheaper WSM or a cheaper offset
How many want to attach a burner to big green
woodpelletsmoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

For me the allure of the BGE is the versatility. Low and slow or screaming hot depending on my need. One cooker, multiple uses. Not sure the need for a burner.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1 18.5 new to me WSM
Super Fast BLUE and RED Thermapen
1 - The Great Outdoors Smoker Sea Bug cooker
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I've never needed to add lump during a cook. They go for hours and hours untended on one load.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Following is another message I just received.
I really need more feedback before I spend money on this new application, or I will ignore it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Been business owner involved in product sales for over 25 years. I live in Atlanta Georgia area where the green egg is manufactured. I think start with loyal green egg owners as shipping is much less for just burner and readymade market. Once we have established business record we can then try importing ceramic pits. In October there is eggtoberfest http://www.biggreenegg.com/events/th...-eggtoberfest/ If we can perfect the thermostat/burner before then I could probably sell 500 units that day alone.

Opening is 2.5” x 3.5” and wall is 1” thick. If you can make a sleeve that we can place on inside of green egg that sticks out of air inlet far enough then we can bolt your outlet to it. It is sturdy and heavy enough it should support weight of burner. How big is your outlet?

If I decide to do this the product would need a more professional finished look and I do not want you underselling me on eBay as that would not be fair. I have imported from china directly before and I have had many quality control issues. You actually living there where manufactured is very helpful for quality control.
Unread 12-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Its sounds really strange to me, one of the best features of the Big Green Egg(BGE) is that is it very efficient with fuel. This is mainly due to the fact that it is a ceramic cooker and retains heat incredibly well.

A question to you BGE owners, do you have to refuel for really long cooks? i.e. 12hrs+

If not I really dont see a use for a burner.
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

There may be demand for it.
Just find a post http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=149519
The World's First Pellet Kamado Grill

By attaching my burner to BGE, it can burn pellet too. and temperature can be kept very stable, high or low
Unread 12-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

I would be interested to see the response they get for that. If it does well you can do one better and say that your burner does charcoal instead of pellets.
Unread 12-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

So I have to wait result of its' sales before I do mine
Unread 12-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

I don't think the pellet kamado will sell very well. Kamado cookers are very stable and do not need a temperature controller at all. Why would I want to burn pellets in my kamado when I can burn wood and lump and achieve rock steady temps for 15 hours easy.

If anything I believe an external pellet attachment would be great for gas grills. You could probably target people that live in condos or gated communities where charcoal is not allowed.
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

It sounds pretty strange to me. If I need to add charcoal during a cook it means I didn't load enough charcoal before I started cooking.

I think the person is overestimating the demand for a burner among Egg owners. One of the strengths of the Egg is to be able to do long cooks without needing to refuel. I'm sure your burner has many useful applications but I don't think an Egg or any kamado style cooker would need one. In addition, I would imagine use of any burner with an Egg could void the BGE warranty.

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #11
swamprb

If he is thinking a pellet burning fire pit for a ceramic will take the BBQ world by storm, then maybe he should look into the Stoven Pellet fired conversions and think about all the Weber Kettles & WSM's that need conquering!
http://www.americansundancer.com/stoven-barbecues.html
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #12
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default This is most helpful link

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
If he is thinking a pellet burning fire pit for a ceramic will take the BBQ world by storm, then maybe he should look into the Stoven Pellet fired conversions and think about all the Weber Kettles & WSM's that need conquering!
http://www.americansundancer.com/stoven-barbecues.html
If Stoven finds market, I can do also by my burner. I will wait and see.
I know temperature control of pellet pit is very difficult.
Traeger has big temperature swing
I do not find how Stoven controls temperature in detail. let us wait and see
Also $349 is big money, more than Traeger Junior. Why people buy Stoken than Traeger directly
Unread 12-16-2012, 03:42 AM   #13
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

OK I find more about Stoven as below:

• Fan: Single speed fan controlled by a power switch.

• Pellet Feed system/control: pellets are fed by an auger controlled by a variable rheostat setting from 1 to 9 to control the pellet feed rate. This allows the temperature to be adjusted manually. It does NOT automatically maintain a set temperature.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Stoven can not maintain temperature automatically, why people use Stoven.
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post
OK I find more about Stoven as below:

• Fan: Single speed fan controlled by a power switch.

• Pellet Feed system/control: pellets are fed by an auger controlled by a variable rheostat setting from 1 to 9 to control the pellet feed rate. This allows the temperature to be adjusted manually. It does NOT automatically maintain a set temperature.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Stoven can not maintain temperature automatically, why people use Stoven.
It appears that you have answered your own question, the company has been around since 2000 and this is the first ive ever heard of the Stoven. They made a product for which there is very little to no demand and at a price point that is ridiculous.

Essentially they charging $350 to add a pellet feeder to a Weber kettle. For $350 you can buy a WSM or make 3 UDS with money to spare, its perplexing that they didnt take this into account before creating the Stoven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
If anything I believe an external pellet attachment would be great for gas grills. You could probably target people that live in condos or gated communities where charcoal is not allowed.
This sounds like an amazing idea, make it so that its easy for people to attach your burner to their propane grill. I think most people would still want use of their grill so with your burner attached it should not affect the grill. The only challenge I see is whether or not gas grills are good at maintaining temps, in my experience most of them have air leaks.
Unread 12-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

My burner produces big enough smoke which I do not think allowed in condos