MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
georgiasmoke
Got Wood.

Default What goes into winning National title?

First and foremost, I don't want to seem like I'm ignorant or stupid, but I don't know what it takes to win a National title. I know to win the World title you have to win the whole shooting match at the Jack but that's all I know. I seen on my Facebook page everybody was congratulating 3 Eyez BBQ for winning thier National title at the KCBS event this weekend and it just got me thinking. Any info would be appreciated.
georgiasmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Sauced!
Full Fledged Farker

They finished with the most points in the KCBS Overall standings for 2012.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

soo much time..3 Eyz cooked 20+ weekends and excellent skills..

for me, 5-6 weekends is enough or too much.

Congrats to the 3 Eyz crew on an AWESOME year!
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Hard work and dedication!! If you look at the cover of the Bullsheet this month, you'll notice that not one of the TOY teams cooked less than what...25 contests this year? And we're so proud to be in the company of the great, hard-working TOY teams here in the Mid-Atlantic....3 Eyz, Serial Griller. Congrats to all the TOY winners this year.
KCBS
MABA
180 CHICKEN - KEYSTONE CLASSIC BARBEQUE, HARRISBURG, PA (10/4/2014)
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

To explain a little more, everyone who competes in a KCBS competition earns points based on their finish overall and in each meat category. The higher you finish the more points. there is an exact formula, but that's the basic principle. At the end of the year the top teams overall and in each category are recognized and the top point-earning team overall and in each category are the national champions.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Actually I don't think they won the National Championship (it's about the only thing they didn't win) they actually won the KCBS Team Of The Year. I think in order to win the National Championship you have to win Sam's Club National BBQ tour.

Neither are an easy task. To win Sam's you have to place in the top 6 @ a local contest, top 10 @ there regional and then win the final.

To win the KCBS TOY, you are probably going to have to compete in 25+ contests and GC/RGC 10-15 of those.

You can win either the Jack Daniels World Championship Invitational or the American Royal World Series of Barbeque by winning a qualifier to get there and the invitational.

And that's just the KCBS. Other sanctioning bodies also have their own championships.....

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

Time, yes, weekends yes, miles yes, but do not sell short consistency, and flavors.
If I had the cash I could cook 25 contests and still not shine the shoes of teams like 3eyz and the other top teams.

Not just 1 win, a takes an entire year of consistently placing in the top.

My hats off to the teams that have the gumption and ability.

Great job to all!!
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

The most direct answer to your question is this: $30,000 plus equipment.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
The most direct answer to your question is this: $30,000 plus equipment.
I'm sort of hoping that just came out wrong. Of course money and equipment is important, but there is a lot more to it than that.

I think the most important thing is to love what you are doing, and find teammates that you enjoy spending time with. Add a common belief that you actually CAN get to your goal and have fun along the way. Finally, in order to win it, you better hope luck is on your side.

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan - 3eyzbbq View Post
I'm sort of hoping that just came out wrong. Of course money and equipment is important, but there is a lot more to it than that.

I think the most important thing is to love what you are doing, and find teammates that you enjoy spending time with. Add a common belief that you actually CAN get to your goal and have fun along the way. Finally, in order to win it, you better hope luck is on your side.
Good advise, A lot of teams I have talked to say just have fun. Why else would you do it. Congrats btw, I used the 3eyz rub on a bunch of chicken last week and the bag sits on my kitchen counter until my GF moves it!

Old 01-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
Tack
Full Fledged Farker

Well said Dan!!

Old 01-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddahavit View Post
Time, yes, weekends yes, miles yes, but do not sell short consistency, and flavors.
If I had the cash I could cook 25 contests and still not shine the shoes of teams like 3eyz and the other top teams.

Not just 1 win, a takes an entire year of consistently placing in the top.

My hats off to the teams that have the gumption and ability.

Great job to all!!

Preach on brotha!

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

If you want to ignore my meandering message, you can get the straight poop here on the KCBS site: http://kcbs.us/rankings.php.

If you're at all interested in my ramblings and other analytic tools, read on at your own peril.

Time and money would help for sure. However, if you look at two sites, you will see where you have to score and how well you have to score to get there. Most of the top teams are cooking 25+ contests and more throughout the year.

Check out http://bbqrace.com/ and http://www.compbbq.com/. Together these sites will give you a good idea of how hard would be. By looking at the individual comp scores on BBQrace.com, for example, you will see that if you participated in a contest every week of the year with 50 or more teams and never placed in the upper 1/2 of the field, you could win TOY. But realistically, who has the time and money to do that?

On the CompBBQ.com site, you can look at teams like 3Eyz and see that they do a lot of comps, but they also score pretty well, have lots of GCs and RGCs and numerous top 10 finishes. So it's not just about showing up.

Here is how the formula works out according to the KCBS site:
Every team at a contest will receive points, even the last place team. Additionally, every team participating in a contest will be awarded bonus points based on the number of teams at an event, up to a maximum of 50. There are no double and triple points, only the bonus points based on the number teams competing at each event. While teams will still be rewarded for doing well in large contests, this system helps to bridge the gap between the smaller and larger events, rewarding teams for their consistency on the competition circuit regardless of event size.

The following is a breakdown of the points awarded at each event. Take for example the third place overall finisher at a 47-team event. The team will receive 200 points plus 47 bonus points based on the number of teams competing, for a total of 247.

1st---250
2nd---225
3rd---200
4th---175
5th---150
6th---140
7th---130
8th---120
9th---110
10th--100
11th--95
12th--90
13th--85
14th--80
15th--75
16th--70
17th--65
18th--60
19th--55
20th--50
21st--45
22nd--40
23rd--35
24th--30
25th and down---25

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #14
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker

So is the national title the KCBS points winner for the year? Or the winner of the Jack or the winner of the Royal? I always thought it was the KCBS year winner.

Eggspert BBQ
Eggspert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
If you want to ignore my meandering message, you can get the straight poop here on the KCBS site: http://kcbs.us/rankings.php.

If you're at all interested in my ramblings and other analytic tools, read on at your own peril.

Time and money would help for sure. However, if you look at two sites, you will see where you have to score and how well you have to score to get there. Most of the top teams are cooking 25+ contests and more throughout the year.

Check out http://bbqrace.com/ and http://www.compbbq.com/. Together these sites will give you a good idea of how hard would be. By looking at the individual comp scores on BBQrace.com, for example, you will see that if you participated in a contest every week of the year with 50 or more teams and never placed in the upper 1/2 of the field, you could win TOY. But realistically, who has the time and money to do that?

On the CompBBQ.com site, you can look at teams like 3Eyz and see that they do a lot of comps, but they also score pretty well, have lots of GCs and RGCs and numerous top 10 finishes. So it's not just about showing up.

Here is how the formula works out according to the KCBS site:
Every team at a contest will receive points, even the last place team. Additionally, every team participating in a contest will be awarded bonus points based on the number of teams at an event, up to a maximum of 50. There are no double and triple points, only the bonus points based on the number teams competing at each event. While teams will still be rewarded for doing well in large contests, this system helps to bridge the gap between the smaller and larger events, rewarding teams for their consistency on the competition circuit regardless of event size.

The following is a breakdown of the points awarded at each event. Take for example the third place overall finisher at a 47-team event. The team will receive 200 points plus 47 bonus points based on the number of teams competing, for a total of 247.

1st---250
2nd---225
3rd---200
4th---175
5th---150
6th---140
7th---130
8th---120
9th---110
10th--100
11th--95
12th--90
13th--85
14th--80
15th--75
16th--70
17th--65
18th--60
19th--55
20th--50
21st--45
22nd--40
23rd--35
24th--30
25th and down---25
Unless there has been a change, only the 10 best scores (point totals) are used. 3Eyez won with 2886 points. That would be 10 wins with fields averaging 38.6 teams per contest

A team cooking 52, 39 team, contests in a year that consistently finished 19th would end the season with 940 points.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote