MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)
Default iGrill thermo

I saw that this is currently on sale for $59.25:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/acc...id=wO6bPerwuO1

Was wondering if anyone used them and if they had any of the usual shortcomings, bad range, loss of connection, probes going bad (if crimped or washed), etc.

Seems like another alternative....
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

General consensus is that its horrible, but the maverick 732 is better. They were supposed to come out with an updated version that might have fixed some of the kinks.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

i have one and it works very well - it allows you to export a pdf of your cook too which is a bit clunky but it works well enough. I thought about getting a 732 but the igrill tethers pretty easily and maintains good bluetooth communication with my phone.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
bo_b_q
On the road to being a farker

I got one for Christmas and I've used it about 4-5 times now. So far I have no complaints. Range seems to be decent. Mine stays connected at 50-60ish feet through 2-3 walls....little bit shorter if I I'm in my ManCave which is in the basement, but it will still connect. I've never measured the actual range but it covers my backyard and my house for the most part (standard corner city lot). It will drop out from time to time but always connects quickly again when you get near range.

Mine came with 2 probes (I've seen a few posts where they came with one). They offer an ambient probe for $20 which I bought but probably didn't need as the 2nd probe in the box would work just fine. I just look at it like I have a back-up in case.

I've been super careful with my wires as I've read some bad reviews on them. I haven't "washed" them. I just use a Lysol wipe or a damp soapy washrag.

The app is nice...from what I understand much improved. App will graph out your cook that you can send in .pdf or .csv form to review for future reference. My only problem is I forget to send it before I shut it off and loose the info...would be nice if there was a way to save the history of your cooks.

I haven't had a remote therm before so I have nothing to compare it to, but so far I've enjoyed mine. Nice to be able to grab your phone out of your pocket and check quick.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
jorrflv
Knows what a fatty is.

I would have to say I like mine. I have used it for over a year now. The app a year ago was fairly unstable, but the version they have out now is rock solid. I like that I can set a range on the grill's temp with alarms. It makes overnight cooks much easier.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

I like mine. I had trouble getting it to pair for a long time, but they eventually bettered their instructions. Works well. I did lose a probe.
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber Jumbo Joe
thirtydaZe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
scummybear

I still want one. I forgot about them because of lack of Android, but now they apparently have an Android app so I think I'm gonna order one soon.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
ubp_sanity
Knows what a fatty is.

I've got one as well, I like it, it works quite good too. Decent range, no problems connecting..

Brought it (and my Broil King Keg) over to my mums for Christmas and I just paired it with her iPad and away we went, couldn't have been easier.

The one complaint I have though, is that the display shines through the white plastic, if there is any sunlight hitting it, it is unreadable.
ubp_sanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scummybear View Post
I still want one. I forgot about them because of lack of Android, but now they apparently have an Android app so I think I'm gonna order one soon.
Cool. I had heard they were working on an Android app. Would love to hear your feedback after you try it out.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 AM   #10
Amigatec

I have one on order, I should have it next week.
Homemade Cold Smoker from old IceBox
Cameron Stovetop smoker
Amigatec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #11
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Is it for meat only or can you monitor pit temps? I tried to monitor pit temps with my wireless meat therm but it stops reading temp at 199 f
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #12
JOMANCHU
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Seems like a good deal. I have been researching them for awhile now. A good friend of mine has one and loves it.
JOMANCHU is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 04:47 AM   #13
scm1226
is one Smokin' Farker

Two probes one for meat one for pit. I like it. I got mine using reward points from a credit card about two years ago. Still works like a charm.
scm1226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #14
PrinceofQ

Have the white one and love it! I also did a review on it on our website BBQ Sauce Reviews if you want to see my take on it. :) That's a really great price at $59.25! They usually go for around $79. Let us know if you end up getting one.

~Jay Prince

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Old 01-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #15
bo_b_q

Only other minor complaint I have is that the alarms in the app are too quiet. If it's real quiet you can hear them...but I've checked my phone to see I missed an alarm or two multiple times...usually the temp bouncing at the edge of the range so nothing serious, but still something that seems like it could be fixed.