The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
KJ's BBQ
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Cooking for Judging Class

I've been asked to cook for a Certified Barbecue Judging Class Saturday, March 9, 2013 in West Chester, OH. I told them I would do it but I have some questions on how far I should go with the cook. The class I took to become a judge, the meat was nothing like I would turn in a competition. I want to put out a good product, so should I prep it as I would for a competition using the same rub and sauces or just go with some SBR and a homemade rub? I'm sure Don Harwell the KCBS trainer will also help me out once I talk to him. Thanks for the help.
KJ's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
jketron
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0

I would imagine they are going to ask you to cook a full range of doneness (slightly under. Just right, over cooked) all for instructional purposes.
Grill of His Dreams #1 Rule of BBQ... Have fun
jketron is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

3 or 4 cooks were involved in my class and from what I recall they followed some written guidelines for different quality, seasonings and appearance (bad and good arrangements, chunky sauce, and some of the boxes had illegal garnishes). I believe the goal was for the food to match the curriculum of the class (more or less). Looking back there were not any 8's or 9's.... everything was a 5, 6 or 7.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 2

When I cooked for a judging class I was told to cook everything the same, but I didn't have to do anything real special. It all just had to be done. Mike & Theresa Lake did our class. My suggestion would be to get in contact with who is teaching your's and see what they are going to need.
82's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote