The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

So the ratio should be around 1 Tsp per cup of Rub. When doing some Burgers, Steak or chicken I guess you can just lightly sprinkle some over the meat, correct? I normally use nothing on my Beef prior to cooking except some S&P or I do a Salt bath on some Steaks.

I know I will learn by experimentation but would like to know what happens if you use to much, is it just like over salting?

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #17
JazzyBadger
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Yeah, this has been awhile since I've done some reading but this crap activates taste buds on the tongue. It's one of the "flavors" the tongue can register. Too much basically chokes out that taste bud 'receptor' and blammo, you're foaming at the mouth... not really, but you get my point.

Typically what I do with it regarding steaks and burgers and stuff is I simply add it together with some salt. I'll measure out the salt for the container, and then add about 1/2 a TB of MSG into it, and shake it up real good. Then I sprinkle that over steaks or fish or whatever, if I'm going that route. Same with burger seasoning, typically it's kosher salt, pepper, onion powder, and a liiiitle bit of garlic powder, then a little bit of MSG, and boom, burger seasoning.

It's a useful tool in the culinary toolbox, I don't use it on everything, I can't remember ever really throwing it onto any kind of pasta or pasta sauce for instance, like ever.. or in my breads, or baked goods, but it goes great things for the homemade other stuff I mentioned, and it does great things with veggies.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #18
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

If it's overused, it makes for an off taste. However, it definitely makes flavors pop, no question about it.
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
msg