ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #16
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Hey willkat, perfect application. Get's you to where the others can't. Goes easily on the roof and I have a GPS, FF and rod holders, some food and drink and I;m all set. Easily fish the ocean, bays, rivers. Lot;s of good stuff over there. Check out the forums too. scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #17
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakfishingfool
Hey willkat, perfect application. Get's you to where the others can't. Goes easily on the roof and I have a GPS, FF and rod holders, some food and drink and I;m all set. Easily fish the ocean, bays, rivers. Lot;s of good stuff over there. Check out the forums too. scott

Now if u could mount a hibachi in front of you, I might be interested.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2006, 01:27 PM   #18
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
As for fishing from a yak....check out www.kayakfishingstuff.com. It's the premier kayak fishing site on the world. Actually fishing form a yak makes so much sense. Thinka bout all you coastal boys that cant; get back into theose shallow bays where all the big reds play. I can. Just got back fromt he Turks and Caicos islands, spectacular bone fishing on virgin flats. No way to get there other than yak, or walk. Never had fish flip me, but biggest has only been maybe forty-fifty pounds. Jumped a couple of 100+ pound tarpon, but never got them it. Lot;s do though. Very cool sport. I know there ar elots of you that fish here. Check it out. Be happy to answer any questions. I'm the host of the newbie forum there. Scott
When I lived in Florida in the 80's, there was a guy that would take a kayak offshore out of Fort Lauderdale, and use light tackle on bill fish. He was regularly taken for some wild Nantucket Sleigh rides.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #19
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Now how many of you have the BYC for jsut home use, no competitions,nothing else, just at home? scott
Yak - I have a 24"diameter version of the BYC made by GatorPits in Houston. I only use it in my yard, no comps no catering. I agree with everything BBQChef33 said in his pit analysis, he is correct. I went with Gator because of the full custom build on every pit for less money than Klose. When you talk to guys that have owned both they will all say the same thing, The quality of the Gator is every bit as good as the Klose and you get more bang for the buck. It's a smaller shop and the personal service is unbeatable. Here are pics of my Gator Just scroll down to the bottom of the page and choose the album "Zilla's Gator Pit". I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about my pit or my experience of shopping and researhing pits made in Texas before I bought mine last summer.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2006, 02:40 PM   #20
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've never cooked on a horizontal, unless you would include offset cooking in my barrel grill, so vertical is all I know. As far as using one at a competition, I have no problem using it, because it's all a matter of timing of when you put you meat on and what temps you want to cook at. I also don't have a problem with the pork butts basting the briskets.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #21
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

THE BYC is perfect for Backyard only.. i didnt mean to come across as for competiton only, but the contrary... was trying to point out that it is versatile enuf for competition. When i bought it, it was replacing my Bandera, and competition wasnt in the cards..(I think it help me get to competition though)

My BYC has a 56 inch main and a 20 inc vertical with a 20 inch pipe.. .. its IS NOT to big.. and actually, it can NEVER be too big(Dont go there ). in fact, i wish i went for the full 60 on a 24 inch pipe, maybe even 30. Keep in minds, that on a horizontal, the first fot or so is not usable becase of the hot spot.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2006, 03:39 PM   #22
Samichlaus
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a BYC with a 60" main. Originally I intended to buy the same pit without the upright. I am very glad I added the it. I got the cooker about a year ago, I'm really beginning to realize what I can do with the upright.

I vote for the upright.
Samichlaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #23
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Who makes the BYC's?

JTMcD.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #24
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Klose has a model called the Back Yard Chef. Gator might have the same name too, I do not know if its copyrighted

http://www.bbqpits.com/

http://www.gatorpit.net/

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #25
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

The Gator is the Back Yard Classic Chef
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2006, 10:11 PM   #26
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

this is getting harder and harder....Was looking at teh gators, but the price seems to be a bit above the kloses. Very nice units also. Scott
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com

Unread 01-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #27
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

And 6 months ago the price of steel was 1/3 what it is today

a year ago, 2/3 less than today.

buy now!!!

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #28
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
Who makes the BYC's?
In the context of this discussion, the term BYC has not only been used as a model name for the Klose brand horz/vert cooker, but also as a generic for that style of combination cooker. Klose, Gator, Horizon, Bates, Brinkmann.....many mfgrs make horz/vert cookers (Dead Serious even makes a reverse flow model with the firebox at the same end as the vert). They all have minor design differences which determine their specific cooking characteristics but they all function basically the same.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #29
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

Klose's BYC is the orignal, the gators are copies. They look alike, but there are differences in the designs. They can both be custom made to just about any spec. The gators i saw down in texas, while they are nice pits, they didnt have the fit and finishes that my Kloses have. Before buying, I researched and compared the Klose, the Gator BYCC and the Tejas 2040CC. All 3 are the same general design, but the comparisons got the Klose to my backyard. The Tejas was dropped off the chart on first glance.. looked like a cracker jack version of the other two. When the Gator and klose was compared, the Klose, IMO, came out ahead for workmanship.. and some of the smaller details.. (like 9 inch wheels as compared to 4 inch high density). Prices were pretty close, so when it came down to it.. it came down to the better welder and little details. OK... the Gator had nicer paint and a cool rain cap..... But the klose was...well... A KLOSE. ... one thing is for sure, with either of these, you will not regret it.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-06-2006, 09:14 AM   #30
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

thanks Guys. I know steel prices have climbed through the roof. was just doing a today side by side comaprison. Scott
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com