oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #46
Shagdog
Babbling Farker

If you have a hole there already, it works fine.. Mine seems to breathe great.

Shirley Fabrication 24x50 Offset - UDS - Weber Kettle - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

Click HERE to donate to the upcoming cook for vets and Active US Military troops

Shagdog is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #47
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

There is another option. 6 3/4 inch holes IN SIDE (about inch from top) so you can insert rebar to use as hangers for meat. This way, if you no like, no problem... use the holes with no rebar. It might take some tweaking to get the breathing right but if you succeed you have a more versatile smoker.

There is someone on here that did this.

Certified KCBS Judge
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 PM   #48
Wahoo95
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah I've also heard putting the vents in the side below the lid keeps water out
Wahoo95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #49
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

I like 6 one inch holes threaded with nipples. This way you can see the smoke come out from a cylinder, rather than having is spew out of a hole. You can always cap them and I've found that one large exhaust doesn't cook as evenly as multiple smaller exhausts
Heisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2015, 12:13 AM   #50
Doug Crann
is one Smokin' Farker

This very subject is making my head spin. The drums I picked up have flat lids. Was going to drill holes on the side of the drum, just under the top ring. Decided against that for now....picked up (2) 2" 90* elbows and 4' of 2" pipe. Going to mount them on the 180* apart on the sides of the drum. Also have rain caps/flapper valves to put on them...Don't work out I will just cut them off with the plasma cutter and weld some plates over the holes....

Old 03-01-2015, 12:20 AM   #51
dadsr4
Babbling Farker

Is there a reason why frig magnets cannot be used to seal the holes?

Old 03-02-2015, 04:55 AM   #52
ebijack
is One Chatty Farker

IMHO elbows unless you can rotate them will at some point allow the wind to blow directly into/thru your exhaust and mess up the draft, But you can rotate the lid. The elbows do add weight to the lid. Using the hole locations, you can direct more heat to where the exhaust/exhaust are. This helps cause after dumping in your hot coals onto the new coals you really don't know where/which side the major heat is going to be coming from. Basic eliminates hot spots. I used 2 different size holes and aluminum flashing and a screw to hold the flashing. This was basically a test, but worked so well I never changed the original quick cutouts of the aluminum flashing. They are also adjustable for when running really low temps or really high temps. And when it's really blowing out, I can stand my starter chimney's over the holes to block the wind. Just a thought.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, uds