The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Unread 01-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Q*bert
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Franklin Barbecue Austin, TX- Yes, it's as good as you've heard

I had the good fortune to be in Austin, TX a few weeks ago on business & realized it was the perfect opportunity to visit Franklin Barbecue. The proprietor Aaron Franklin, as I'm sure you're all aware, is one of the hosts of BBQ Pitmasters. I don't know about you, but with anything that gets so much hype, I'm always skeptical. I've heard all about the brisket, & all about the line out the door and I'm here to tell you, you won't be disappointed by either.

They're open Tues-Sun 11 Am until sold out according to a sign made out of a square of cardboard with sharpie lettering taped to the front window. I got there at 11:45 and took my place at the back of the line you see below. At some point during the wait they handed a sign to a man 5 spots in front of me that said "Last man standin'" That means he was the last person in line guaranteed to get brisket. I decided to wait it out. Two groups between me and him gave up & left.

After an hour & 25 minutes in line I was at the counter ordering my food. I got the 2 meat plate with brisket & ribs. The rib review is short. Not bad, but nothing to write home about. The brisket review, on the other hand, would take more time than I think you're willing to invest in this post. Plus I could possibly wind up with carpal tunnel syndrome just from writing it. Suffice to say that everything you've heard about Aaron's brisket is absolutely true. It's a 10.

If you're ever in Austin, or anywhere close, make sure you make a detour to Franklin Barbecue. And get there early.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG2149-1.jpg (48.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2138.jpg (71.3 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2142.jpg (42.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2144-1.jpg (61.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2145.jpg (53.4 KB, 155 views)

http://www.facebook.com/AstroPigs
KCBS MABA

Proudly Sponsored By:
The BBQ Equipment Store http://http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/
K-Coast Surf Shop http://www.kcoast.com/
J.O. Spice Company Inc. http://www.jospices.com/
Q*bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Thanks for the review (and the pics ). I was supposed to be in Austin this week, but was cancelled. The plate looks great.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Looks good

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Just BS
Take a breath!

As much as I'd like to try it, I ain't standing in no line for an hour and a half for any body's BBQ.

Thanks for standing in line and reporting the findings, but I already figured it was good....
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Big dawg
Knows what a fatty is.

I think franklins has the best brisket.
Big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, Franklin, review