MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Default Char-Griller off-set mods (PrOn)

These are the mods I have done to my Char-Griller Smokin' Pro with side fire box.

outsidecooker.jpg

The first is the spaceship mod, which is just a foil insulation blanket rated for 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

thermgrommet.jpg

This is a water tight electrical cable grommet I put in to run the digital therm probes. This way they're not being pinched by the lid. I found this mod in a thread posted on the Brethren.

openrevflow.jpg

This is a cheap reverse-flow mod I made using dryer vent hose. I attached it to the bottom of the smoke stack then bent it towards the fire box side of the cooker. I attached it to the side of the lid using a screw and a wing nut.

linerbricks.jpg

I lined the bottom and sides of the smoke chamber with HD foil for a cheap gasket. I then put in two red bricks on both the right and left sides to hold up my baffle/heat deflector and maybe add something for thermal mass.

defplatebyfirebox.jpg

Here is a pic of the baffle/heat deflector. I have to drill some holes in it when I get the time (lazy).

baffledefplate.jpg

There is a 2 and 1/2 to 3 inch gap on the left side to allow heat to escape.

revflow.jpg

This is the dryer vent/ cheap reverse flow mod showing the vent at grate level. (sorry for the dark pic.)

carcoalbox.jpg

This is the charcoal basket I made out of some expanded metal i had lying around. It's just bent into shape and held together with some metal wire.

Well, that's pretty much it. I thought I would post some pics for everyone to check out. Sorry for the blurriness of some of them (I have a crappy camera). Any suggestions, or questions, or even criticisms for that matter, are welcome.
Gasket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

So now it's a RF CG. Mine aint insulated but I cooked a brisket the other day it was 26 when I lit the splits. It came right up to 300 in 20 min. I guess if your burning charcoal you need it. if you have trouble with stale smoke and no heat you might want to rethink the dryer duct thing. I cut the ends out of a Tallboy can and stuffed it in the bottom of the pipe seems to work just fine. I used the CI grates that where in the fire box and flipped the Coal pan over on top or a baffle system. Drilling holes will equalize your temps Mine is dead even any where on the surface. Three linear lines one center and 1 on each side at an equal distance. start the holes 4 In from the FB wall 1//4" and increase the drill size 2 sizes with each set every 4 " up to 1/2" hole size 4 " from the stack side.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Have you noticed any benefits from these mods?

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
So now it's a RF CG. Mine aint insulated but I cooked a brisket the other day it was 26 when I lit the splits. It came right up to 300 in 20 min. I guess if your burning charcoal you need it. if you have trouble with stale smoke and no heat you might want to rethink the dryer duct thing. I cut the ends out of a Tallboy can and stuffed it in the bottom of the pipe seems to work just fine. I used the CI grates that where in the fire box and flipped the Coal pan over on top or a baffle system. Drilling holes will equalize your temps Mine is dead even any where on the surface. Three linear lines one center and 1 on each side at an equal distance. start the holes 4 In from the FB wall 1//4" and increase the drill size 2 sizes with each set every 4 " up to 1/2" hole size 4 " from the stack side.
I usually burn lump and add chunks, but I've been thinking of burning all wood. I think I'll try that on my next cook. Thanks for the suggestions I might give the Tallboy idea a try and I will definitely drill holes in the deflector plate soon. I haven't had a problem with stale air but I have noticed that I have a hard time getting the cooker past 220, especially on colder days. I was hoping the all wood route would fix the no heat problems.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker View Post
Have you noticed any benefits from these mods?
The benefits I have noticed are there are more even temps left to right on the cooker, and it does hold heat better. The downside is I have a harder time getting the cooker past 220 than I did before.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
Bludawg

The exhaust is pretty restricted with all the twist and turns Fire need to breath. It's like you had a 300 lb linebacker sitting on your chest it would be about the same thing. If the fire cant breath it don't work so well to produce heat because it can't get rid of the smoke backing up. The smoke will displace the O2 in the FB. restricting combustion.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Bludawg, I was wondering does extending the stack down to grate level but leaving it on the original side contribute to losing heat and smoke quicker. The reason I did the reverse flow mod was so the smoke and heat were forced to travel over the food and then out the smoke stack. I figured if I just added the deflector plate and only extended the pipe down to grate level while keeping it on the original side it would force the smoke under and then right out the chimney. what do you think? Also I bought my Char-Griller in 2002 and it didn't come with the CI fire box grates, just a wimpy little charcoal grate.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
Bludawg

Crazy as it sounds it will evac quicker but the heat will be higher because the fire is burning more efficiently. Your right in your RF theory you just engineered it wrong. Move the stack to the fire box side and plug the original hole or buy a stack from CG( their like 15 bucs)and install it on the FB end and don't extend it. if you elect to stay with the 1 stack narrow the RF plate by 2" 4" out from the fire box. Enough heat smoke will escape to eliminate a cold zone in the middle. Keeping it fairly well equalized, If you add the holes in the baffle it will be very stable and responsive to small intake damper changes.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
Banjo
Found some matches.

I have the CG outlaw with the sfb. I just ran baffle plates across halfway, sealed the lid with rope insulation, and extended the existing stack to grate level. I get temps dead on from side to side and it comes up to temp quickly. i've cooked from 200-350 on it with no problems. It's still a fuel monster unless you are burning pure stick. The mods made all the difference in the world...and I still bought a WSM.
Chargriller Outlaw w/firebox-modified
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
Banjo
Found some matches.

I love the grommet for the food probes! I'm gonna have to borrow that one
Chargriller Outlaw w/firebox-modified
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #11
JOMANCHU
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Great ideas. This was my first smoker and I still have it. Do not use due the constant temperatures changes. Will try your mods. Thanks
JOMANCHU is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Is the blanket foiled on one side only? If so, should that side face the heat? Also, how is it attached to the lid?

Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrederhead View Post
Is the blanket foiled on one side only? If so, should that side face the heat? Also, how is it attached to the lid?
It is foiled on both sides. It's held on with Duck brand HVAC foil tape. It's rated beyond 400 degrees and does not melt or give off fumes.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
VeRTiGo91
On the road to being a farker

I just made the charcoal basket yesterday, and your pic looked just like mine, I had to do a double take. Still need screws to hold it together, but I am stoked about the results.
VeRTiGo91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
Carolina gamecock
On the road to being a farker

Rule of thumb on a reverse flow is the opening at the end of the plate should be the same as the opening from firebox to cook chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk