THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tommykendall

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks. When in Bakersfield I met a guy from Tyler TX who swears his uncle's method for doing brisket is "the method". The method is somewhat like what we have seen Emeril do. His uncle I think used to own a meat market in Tyler and frequently cooked hundreds of pounds of brisket on enormous cookers. Here's what they do (he did this one on a weber kettle but the concepts are the same):

The WHOLE brisket is separated between point and flat and further cut into chunks - about 5 total chunks per brisket. The chunks are marinated in a solution (as best as I could remember) of water, vinegar(?), garlic, lotsa lemon juice, pickling spices, salt, pepper, and small pieces of fat. He fired up the kettle with some lump charcoal and small commercially bought hickory chunks. I supplemented that with a couple nice chunks of mesquite and hickory. Because of time he was not too concerned about the kettle temperature although I bet his uncle does on the big pits. I surmise they generally cook at higher temps because of what you will read next. He (Rusty is his name) added water to a large aluminum roasting pan, placed in the briskets until pretty much submerged, added some of the marinade. So he's gonna steam the farker I thought. And he did - about every hour going out to turn the meat in the pan until it got fork tender about 5 hours later. There was a lot of smoke and steam coming from the kettle the entire time. Rusty then cooked the remaining juices from the roasting pan into an au jous of some sort, sliced the brisket and poured the juice over the top.

So how was it? Not farking bad given the time crunch. It was moist, tender, had great smoke flavor, no smoke ring I suspect from the water. He understands fully that its not the method by which many of us cook, but it got the job done. I'd be certainly willing to do this method in a crunch.

sounds like a souped up crock pot method or dutch oven method. I always looked at that more as stewed than anything else...

Braised brisket is great....but it still aint BBQ. did it really have a smoke flavor to it?? Kinda weird considering its submerged...

Now.. dont laugh... if your gonna do that, try the thing i do with brats and onions in the waterpan, but instead of using brats, throw in some brisket chunks, vidalias, and beer..

Wasn't completely submerged and as you know water evaporates, so yes - there was an abundance of smoke flavor. More than I ever would imagine.

Brased brisket is made all the time by the jewish grandmothers scattered across brooklyn. It's damn tasty but its not bbq. It's closer to pot roast.

For BBQ brisket, they add ketchup to the pot Damn tasty, but not BBQ.

I have heard of a couple of different people putting brisket in a pan (with our without liquid) while smoking. The last brisket I did, I put one in a disposable aluminum pan (no water, fat cap down, bottom shelf right above the water pan). All the rendered fat collected in the pan and made the fat cap almost crispy...definately going to try again because it seemed to cook quicker than the others, and it was a bit dry. The "crispy" fat cap added something in my opinion.

BrooklynQ said:
Brased brisket is made all the time by the jewish grandmothers scattered across brooklyn. It's damn tasty but its not bbq. It's closer to pot roast.

For BBQ brisket, they add ketchup to the pot Damn tasty, but not BBQ.

Rob is exactly right. The brisket is more like a pot roast. Add some ketchup, Campbells French onion soup , cranberry sauce, horse radish, garlic, potatoes, carrots some red wine, onions.

It's soooooooo good. VERY juicy......But it aint BBQ

I guess this thread doesn't belong here because our L.I. experts deem it not to be Q. Call it WTF you want but don't knock it till you tried it. It's a hell of a lot closer to Q than a lot of topics in this section. What a farking waste of time posting it. Shouldn't have bothered.

Geezze, pull your panties out of your crack... we talk crock pot stuff here all the time.. as well as dutch oven stuff.. i was talking about the crock pot stuff.

I'm surprised you picked up smoke if its submerged, now sounds like you let the water evaporate and it cooks in the smoke somewhat too...

Sounds like a good experiment, to cook it in the water pan to the bandera. We did the brats that way at the bash and they got inhaled.. Water pan in MOAB is to shallow to do it, so its up to steve to try it here. I have also heard of people braising first in a pan of liquid in the pit, and then finishing in the smoke.(or vica versa).

tommykendall said:
I guess this thread doesn't belong here because our L.I. experts deem it not to be Q.

Hey for this one I prefer being called a NYC expert thank you. :mrgreen:

Tommy,

The recipe you gave sounds excellent and a merging of both ways to cook the brisket. All the juiciness of the fluids mixed with the smoke. I am sure it tastes great and I would definitely consider it Queing. What I said was not BBQ was the recipe my grandmother used to cook pot roast.

Steve

Well I'm gonna try to do it the way u suggested. It might take a few experiments on depth of the fluid but it will be nirvana when I get it right.

post #28 in this thread.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9532&highlight=smoked+onion

its listed below... replace the word Brat, with Brisket.

hey.. not to interupt.. but I'll add my brat technique...

Double line the waterpan with some heavy duty foil. Fill the waterpan with beer and onions.. lots of onions, a few cloves of garlic some shots of worsey sauce, and if ya want add some Franks red hot. Cook the brats in there till their ready. When your ready for a brat, take it out and put it on the bottom shelf close to the heat... REAL GENTLE.. dont puncture it. Or you can just grill it in the firebox fdor a few seconds. Keep the others soakin till its time for the next one.. :)

Put the brat on a bun they lay a load of them onions from the waterpan on top. Some of that soup goes in the dish.. and with a laddle some more of that soup and onions from the waterpan can go in a bowl. AWESOME SMOKED ONION soup. !!! if your a pansey, you can strain some of the fat off first. I spoon it over garlic bread and add the brats right on top.

See? There's another reason water sucks. No smoke ring.

If you submerged that baby in sand you'd get a smoke ring and smoky flavor.

Sand Braising Mod.

I have been putting my meat in pans for 15 years. Check out my method on my web site if you like. I ALWAYS do Briskets this way. I add a little beer in the pan in the beginning and smoke at 225-250 for about 10 hours, cover with foil (pan has lots of juices in it) and heat another 2-3 hours while cranking the heat to 300. Meat is not covered with juice. Great smoke ring comes within the first hours before much liquid.
Got a 1st Place trophy using this method at my first comp. Works for me and there is NO CLEANUP.
PARTY!!!!!!
ed

Great pictures KAB

I might try that method. Looks like plenty of smoke ring

Can I ask you to clarify, are you smoking the brisket cap up or down? Looks down in the picture, but I can't tell.

And does the wings on your pig overhead work?

tommykendall said:
I have a bad habit of biting someone's head off daily, and unfortunately for your three, I hadn't done it yet today:evil:

THis from the man who has gotten laid more than any of us in the New Year.

My father braises his meat and puts it in the smoke for the last hour or two. It's good but he likes mine better.

Bigmista said:
THis from the man who has gotten laid more than any of us in the New Year.QUOTE]

Gawd That Hurt.
21.gif

Bill,
I always put the fat cap UP. Those wings on that pig flap up and down and she flies around in a circle about 3 feet wide. She really goes, had her about 5 years. She's a PARTY pig. Some people come in the shop and see her flying and look at me and just shake their head. I don't know what that means!!!!
Have a GREAT day!!!!!
ed

Back