The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
checkrd past
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default More pink chicken talk

Just did my 2nd butterfly chicken to a 170 temp in the thighs and breast and the leg joints and deepest breast are still under cooked . I ve been cookin at 320 to temp on my GMG Jim Bowie, I use different probes to double check and they are the same
checkrd past is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
fantomlord
is one Smokin' Farker

how are you making the assessment that they are undercooked?

Unread 10-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Take the deepest part of the breast to 165* and the deepest part of the thigh, down in the joint to 170-175* and you should be fine. Don't worry about the temp in the other parts of the bird, just the deep part of the breast and the thigh. It's normal for the meat to appear a bit pink due to the smoking process. Especially around the thigh.

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Brew n Que
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have never had a breast cooked to 165 that I liked. Even brined, they still have a distinct dryness to them that I can't stand. I typically don't take mine above 150. You will be amazed at the difference. At 150, there is no pink (aside from smoke ring), no sliminess, and the juices run clear. Take a look at this article that explains the food safety aspect.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/s...tml?ref=search
Brew n Que is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew n Que View Post
I have never had a breast cooked to 165 that I liked. Even brined, they still have a distinct dryness to them that I can't stand. I typically don't take mine above 150. You will be amazed at the difference. At 150, there is no pink (aside from smoke ring), no sliminess, and the juices run clear. Take a look at this article that explains the food safety aspect.

Good article...Different cook method...I just don't know how you could keep your chicken at 150* for the 5 min required on a cooker without the temp climbing up to the 160 range...If you pull it earlier(lower temp) you need to hold it longer at that temp...160*(breast) for me is plenty juicy and safe...Be careful...

Lang 36 Patio - Kamado BigJoe
30" Gasser(Dock Box)

MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
checkrd past
Got Wood.

Thanks for the comments I ll try probing deeper . I know its under cooked cause of the pink juices .

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Fwismoker
Babbling Farker

Quote:

I don't know what you're doing because mine are dripping wet @ 165 every single time with out exception. I've known people that have went to the hospital on under cooked poultry and it doesn't sound like a pleasant experience. 165 for me please!
Mini WSM uds style, Jumbo Mini WSM aka Jimmy, newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS, Kettle, Potbelly Stove Smoker Smoke house w/ Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator attached.PitmasterIQ,Guru PartyQ ...Keith
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Brew n Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCandy View Post
Good article...Different cook method...I just don't know how you could keep your chicken at 150* for the 5 min required on a cooker without the temp climbing up to the 160 range...If you pull it earlier(lower temp) you need to hold it longer at that temp...160*(breast) for me is plenty juicy and safe...Be careful...
I must admit that I don't have a lot of experience with smoked chicken, so I don't know how juicy it comes out at 165. I know that when I poach, bake, or roast to 165 internal that I just can't seem to get rid of the dryness (I know this is a bbq forum, I just thought this concept might cross over from the kitchen into the bbq world). As for the meat staying at 150 long enough, between the time it takes the chicken to go from say 148 to 150, and the time it rests, you have more than enough time at temperature to properly sterilize the meat. I've never known anyone to get sick from chicken that was cooked until the juices run clear and the sliminess is gone (which from what I can tell tends to be anything above 145).

Just my 2 cents. I'd say if your chicken stays juicy at 165, might as well cook it to 165, but you shouldn't be scared of the lower temps.

Unread 10-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
checkrd past
Got Wood.

Quote:
I must admit that I don't have a lot of experience with smoked chicken, so I don't know how juicy it comes out at 165. I know that when I poach, bake, or roast to 165 internal that I just can't seem to get rid of the dryness (I know this is a bbq forum, I just thought this concept might cross over from the kitchen into the bbq world). As for the meat staying at 150 long enough, between the time it takes the chicken to go from say 148 to 150, and the time it rests, you have more than enough time at temperature to properly sterilize the meat. I've never known anyone to get sick from chicken that was cooked until the juices run clear and the sliminess is gone (which from what I can tell tends to be anything above 145).

Just my 2 cents. I'd say if your chicken stays juicy at 165, might as well cook it to 165, but you shouldn't be scared of the lower temps.
So I f i get this right I ll try to get the bird to 150 and try to maintain it for say an hour than take it out to rest .

Unread 10-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
Brew n Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkrd past View Post
So I f i get this right I ll try to get the bird to 150 and try to maintain it for say an hour than take it out to rest .
At 150, you would only need to hold it there for about 5 minutes.

Unread 10-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
Grimm5577
Full Fledged Farker

the pasteurization of chicken has been discussed on either this forum or another in great length. But i have to agree that if your chicken is "dry" at 165 something is wrong.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote