Wild Hog

ZILLA

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
A buddy of mine called this morning and told me he had a field dressed hog for me. I picked up around 11:30 and been busy ever since. Check it out here.

Looks good Zilla. How'd it taste? Do anything special to it?

Hey Greg (ggeilman),

You watching this????
Clean out the freezer time :-D

TIM

thillin said:
Looks good Zilla. How'd it taste? Do anything special to it?

skinned it
cleaned it
dried it
rubbed it
smoked it
tasted it
UMMMMM :grin: Thanks

You might be a redneck.

Looks good though. How did it taste?

Nice job! How was the fat content? Did it have a wild taste?

No wild taste at all because they are not wild game but escaped domestic pigs. . I have cooked seveal wild hogs ( actually Ferrel hog is more acurite) The only time when a wild hog gets a flavor that is disagreeable is when it is big, old, and become carnivorus. The little ones don't do that. I have had meat from HUGE 400# plus hogs from west of here and they were great. As long as they remain vegans they could be 1000# and still make a good smoked piggy. It is lean, and very nice to eat. It cooks quicker than a feed finished commercial hog as the cuts are smaller and it has way less fat and the there seems to be less moisture content in the meat. Were having the loin for dinner tonight and it's really good.

Being a leaner cut,.......does it dry out? Do you have to spray more to keep from drying out?

I never spray. I insert the temp probe when I put the meat in to smoke and I don't open the door again till the temp is where I want it. Every time you open the door ya let the heat out. You do have to be careful with very lean cuts of game or ferall animals. Brine is always an option but I didn't have the time today.

Must've been a head shot...good looking hog, with most importantly, NO shot up/ruined meat on it.

Here's a photo of the feral hog i shot this past month...it was 180#. It's being made into sausage as we speak. sorry for the crappy quality...it was a camera phone photo. the hog looks huge on the photo for some reason. the guy walking by is 6'2", and the photo makes the hog look bigger than him!! which i can attest to the fact that it wasn't!

Attachments

• ATT00008.jpg
    ATT00008.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 101
Hey there Five... 10-4 on the head shot. We trap them and shoot them in the head carefully. There were five in the trap this time 4 were about 45-50lbs and one about 150lbs. We trap them on this guys dairy farm. Pigs are always tearing his place up. The guy who shot the five this morning shot a 350+ lb pig last night in New Braunfels out off 46 somewhere. Where in Texas ya from?

kapndsl said:
Hey Greg (ggeilman),

You watching this????
Clean out the freezer time :-D

TIM

They came and took back the 50 lber. I cooked the baby (20 lb) on Sunday. I wasn't real impressed with it, but it was probably the cook. Had a tecture more like turkey than pork.

Hey Zilla, wish I had known or I would have asked for advise!

If it doesn't start raining that flavor is going to start changing. Talked to a guy that has a place I hunt near Fredericksburg and he's leaving the feeders up all year and suplementing the corn with some protein. Heard the same thing about a lease I'm looking at near Waco.

fivelombardis said:
i currently live in Austin...but i shot this hog in my old stomping grounds...Frio County.

Between Leakey and Uvalde by chance?

Jorge said:
Between Leakey and Uvalde by chance?

He Patrols where he please, he the boss man.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

cryovac..! Where is the Cryovac. !!!!!

Back