The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Procurement of Brisket

We are a competition BBQ team and used Creekstone Beef Briskets last year. I am considering in the off season messing around with a few other companies, because we would really like to try Waygu. I am thinking about getting 2 Waygu's from Sam's Club online and 2 from Snake River. Comparing to the Creekstone's I have aging right now.

Before shelling out the cash I thought I would get some input from the experts. Have any teams used Sam's Club Waygu's? I know Snake River is the "go to company" for competition beef brisket. Has anyone tried all three of these??? Let me know your past experiences. I have been very happy with Creekstone, but hoping to bump up our scores on brisket. Had the opportunity to eat some perfectly cooked waygu brisket last weekend and had a yumgasim and want to re-create that! (was not cooked by us)

Eggspert BBQ
Eggspert is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Pappy Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I've tried all three. On line SAMs and Creekstones were inconsistent.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

Used to cook a aged creekstone prime and a waygu every contest....a lot of the times both were just as good as the other....sometimes the point on one or the flat on the other was better......can't buy good scores
Stumps 3X5 offset with warmer
luckyduk is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

Not what you want to hear but I've cooked Creekstone and SRF. More often than not my good ole reliable CAB out does them all.
Sponsored by Yoder Smokers, BBQR's Delight, 3 Eyz,
Butcher BBQ, Big Poppa Smokers, Grizzly Coolers, Wicked Q
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 2

I'm upgrading to Prime Brisket from Omaha. $2.85/LB i'll give it a shot
82's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82's BBQ View Post
I'm upgrading to Prime Brisket from Omaha. $2.85/LB i'll give it a shot
I would too if I could get a deal like that. I was in RD last week and regular choice were almost that much.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
sdbbq1234
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
Not what you want to hear but I've cooked Creekstone and SRF. More often than not my good ole reliable CAB out does them all.
Rub,
Where do you get your cab's from?

Thanks.

wallace
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
plethoraofpinatas
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
I would too if I could get a deal like that. I was in RD last week and regular choice were almost that much.
Same here, USDA Choice "superior" packers are currently $2.80/lb at the Alexandria, VA location

Lang 60 Deluxe
22.5" WSM (x3), 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTS
Char Griller Smoker Pro w/ SFB, reverse flow mod
plethoraofpinatas is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
plethoraofpinatas
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
Same here, USDA Choice "superior" packers are currently $2.80/lb at the Alexandria, VA location

Lang 60 Deluxe
22.5" WSM (x3), 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTS
Char Griller Smoker Pro w/ SFB, reverse flow mod
plethoraofpinatas is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

I got two top 10's and tied for 10th (lost the flip and took 11th place) in 3 out of 4 contests using CAB's from Sam's.

Unread 01-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbbq1234 View Post
Rub,
Where do you get your cab's from?

Thanks.

wallace
From a local family-owned meat shop here in Winter Haven.
Gator Nation

Unread 01-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #12
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker

So . . . If you cook them both well, do you guys notice a difference in the flavor of the waygu over the CAB. The brisket I tasted, that amazed me had this dark, rich, earthy almost portabella mushroom flavor to it. I have never tasted this in CAB, or the one Waygu I cooked. I WANT that flavor. I don't know if that is a flavor coming from the meat, the cooker, the rub, the wood or everything intermingled together. It was just a really nice marriage of flavors. So? Have you noticed a slightly different flavor profile with the waygu?

I know we can't buy scores, we have been finishing in the top 15 usually, we had one 8th place finish this year. I just thought maybe the waygu might give us the little push we need to be consistent in the top 10. Most of all I want to reproduce the Brisket magic I tasted last weekend!

Eggspert BBQ

Unread 01-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyduk View Post
Used to cook a aged creekstone prime and a waygu every contest....a lot of the times both were just as good as the other....sometimes the point on one or the flat on the other was better......can't buy good scores
So . . . you say "used to" what are you going to do this year? Call me cheap, but I really don't want to cook 2 briskets. I know that's what most serious teams do, but our briskets right now are so consistent, they look, taste, and have the same texture every time. We haven't ruined one in 7 competitions or at home, yet. I know the day could come, but we are planning 10 comps this year, and I am just not prepared to shell out an extra $1000, at least, for the year to cook 2 briskets each comp in case we screw one up. Plus with BGE's we are really limited on our cook capacity. Does anyone out there just cook one brisket and give it special attention at comp. to not screw it up?

Eggspert BBQ

Unread 01-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #14
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

You can definitely tell a difference between the CABs and high $$ ones, both subtlety in taste and mouth feel. And the high $$ ones obviously win a lot. I guess I have just tuned in my flavor profile better to suit the CABs than the rest. I have a very hard time spending the money for those when I can do well with a $45-50 brisket. I never feel at a disadvantage going head to head against them.

Sent from the swamp using Tapatalk
Gator Nation

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggspert View Post
So . . . you say "used to" what are you going to do this year? Call me cheap, but I really don't want to cook 2 briskets. I know that's what most serious teams do, but our briskets right now are so consistent, they look, taste, and have the same texture every time. We haven't ruined one in 7 competitions or at home, yet. I know the day could come, but we are planning 10 comps this year, and I am just not prepared to shell out an extra $1000, at least, for the year to cook 2 briskets each comp in case we screw one up. Plus with BGE's we are really limited on our cook capacity. Does anyone out there just cook one brisket and give it special attention at comp. to not screw it up?

Eggspert BBQ
The hard thing for me is when I am buying cases of creekstone primes and get anywhere from 5 good briskets to 1 good one per case the cost per brisket used in a contest goes up comparable to the waygus that are really consistent. I have found a local guy at hyvee that will let me sort Amana primes, but he doesn't always have them.
Stumps 3X5 offset with warmer
luckyduk is online now   Reply With Quote