MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
doogie21
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default 1st attempt @ smoking a brisket = EPIC fail

Even though I haven't been BBQ'ing very long, I have gotten very comfortable with my grill and the product that I have been able to turn out. Other than a couple of early mistakes, my pork ribs have become consistent & I have been pretty spot on with my pork butts. I have even waded my way into smoking fatties and double smoking hams for the holidays.

So needless to say, I have been consistent and gotten pretty confident. (Well that was until yesterday)

I found a small (2 lb) brisket flat that appeared to be a good piece of meat. I have wanted to smoke a brisket for a while and decided to buy this one and give it a go. I have read and reread about some of the difficulties that some people have had, so I wasn't extremely excited about spending some decent money on a cut of meat that I was completely unfamiliar with.

Things seemed to start out ok. Got my smoker to temp and stabilized (225), made a homemade rub. Made sure to stay light on the sugar. (Had read somewhere about not using as much sugar as with pork. Tends to dry out the meat??) Dry rub was applied a couple of hours before placing meat on the grill. The first few hours went off without a hitch. I use a Weber OTP, so other than adding charcoal every hour, adding water to my pan, and spraying with apple juice all seemed to go well.

Then things took a turn for the worse.

My plan was to wrap with foil @ 160 then take up to 190-195 before checking for doneness. In the middle of the stall, I got lazy and only checked my grill. I saw that there was plenty of water and charcoal, so I left things alone. (Problem #1) A short time later I looked at my maverick and realized that grill had dropped to 185. (Alarm limits don't work worth a darn if you don't turn on the alarm) (Problem #2) By the time that I opened the grill and added in some charcoal, the temp took for ever to recover. Hind sight I should have added in some lit charcoal. During that time I noticed that not only was the brisket not increasing in temp, but it had actually dropped 3 degrees. Smoker came back up to temp, but after an hour I still had not even gained back the 3 degrees that I had lost.

I decided to foil and just finish it in the oven as I was frustrated. Meat got to 190 and I checked to see if it was tender. Didn't feel close. Again @ 195. Still not done. I finally ended up pulling it @ 207. Even then it felt nothing like my pork butts have when they are done. Definitely not like buttah.

Let it sit in the oven with the oven off and cool to 160. Cut it against the grain and I felt ill. (Imagine the scene when Eddie cuts the turkey on Christmas Vacation) Made myself take a bite and had more the consistency of beef jerky than the yummy meat I was hoping for.

Oh well, live and learn I guess. For now I will crawl back into my comfort zone and turn out some good pork to redeem myself.
doogie21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Happens to the best of us!! I remember I messed up my ribs once. I sauced them and for whatever reason wanted to "set the sauce" over high heat on my Weber. Ended up burning the sauce to a crisp and dried out the ribs to the point of being leather.

I don't know why I did it but I learned never to do it again!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

Brisket is hard to master, but you made it even harder by buying such a small one, I would rather cook a 22lb brisket than a 2 lb piece of flat. Actually i wont cook anything under about 8 lbs as the product is harder to get done right without drying it out. Sounds like you had the right idea. All you can do is buy another one and try again.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

If it makes you feel better, I just messed up a fatty -- forgot all about it. It looked like a very hard piece of coal. Next.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

+1 to trying a larger piece of meat. The small ones are ornery.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

You'll have better results next time. You might want to try a bigger brisket though 2 lbs is awfully small, a whole packer would be much better. And it doesn't have to be a huge packer either, you can find small ones.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
rlt
On the road to being a farker

Don't sweat it man, I totally screwed up some ribs the other day. Write down what you did and move on.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

Years ago I kept getting hockey pucks when I cooked briskets---using 2-3 pounders--didn't know about packers....as far as I am concerned all the advise you get here on cooking briskets is directred to 12+ pounders
WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

As the gang said, it happens. I don't bother cooking briskets smaller than 10 lbs and prefer 12 - 14 lbs. A 2 lb pice of flat is too hard to nail. Try to find a packer for you next attempt, and I would cook it at 250 or higher.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
RibnOneOff
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My first Brisket attempt, well......I wrote everything down and learned allot anyways, lol.
RibnOneOff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
Enkidu
Take a breath!

I am fairly new to this too (only been BBQ'ing for a little less than 2 years). Initially, when I decided to take the plunge and branch out to brisket, I tried several flats, albeit none as small as the one you tried for your first attempt. My results were hit or miss during my learning process. Some were very good and others got fed to the dogs. Now, I only cook 12+ lb. packers and the results have been consistently very good. I think there is just a much bigger margin for error with a larger piece of meat.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

A 2 lb chunk of flat that has been trimmed to hell & back anit a Brisket and you cant cook it like one!!! A Brisket is a full packer! I cook for ME and I wont bother with anything under 12 lb before trimming, so it hits the pit at about 10 lb and I end up with 6 lb when finished. There are many good methods in a mess of threads that will guaranty success on the forum. Better luck next time.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
bo_b_q
On the road to being a farker

My first two tries with brisket were on small flats like yours as well. I'm assuming my thought process was the same as yours...rather mess up a $10-$15 piece of meat than a $30-$40. Foolish logic!
My first one was a mess...chewy, over smoked, and salty as the sea. I had yet to discover this place when I destroyed that piece of meat. Once I found the Brethren I did some reading and got the same tips you did, knew that the smaller pieces of meat were tougher to get right but thought, what the heck I'll try one more. I had just built my UDS and went after it. Turned out much better the second go around...flavor was better, not AS chewy, but still not was I was hoping for. So keep faith your second attempt will be better but, everyone here is right...the little flats will slip away on you quick, next time I'm going with a packer...it's more than I need, but with all the "leftover brisket" recipes on here...you can't go wrong.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

You could have simply had a bad cut of meat too, besides the small size of that flat...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

as many others said we all destroy a piece of meat here and there, also as said before use full packers, i try to keep mine no less than 14lbs but i do trim aggressively
charbroil offset, custom trailer pit, 46" vermont castings gasser, 18" kettle, big poppa smokers engineered drum kit smoker than was never picked up = NEW TOY! :becky: and last but not least: a never ending 20' comp trailer project:doh:
mr dirts bbq is offline   Reply With Quote