The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Brauma
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default pulled pork test failed - it was delicious

I did a test on a new pork recipe this past wknd. It bombed. The best part about our hobby is that we can eat our mistakes, and they're still better than most store-bought BBQ!

One of my earliest memories from this site was a tagline from a guy named Troutman: "The worst BBQ I can make will be the best you've ever tasted". And that is so true.

My advise to any newbie reading this is to experiment experiment experiment. Take notes. Make a BBQ log or journal. Note times, temps, formulas, sweet to hot ratios, wood used, water pan, no water pan... It will pay off. And, you wont be wasting any money on meat. We can eat our mistakes!!

The A-B test I did was for comp practice. The pulled pork I was shooting for snapped back from being pulled back to sliced status and it was VERY dry. I've had dry before but not a snapping back on pork. I've seen it on brisket but not on pork. Weird! That's the bad news, the good news is, I'm 97% sure I know how to fix it.

So, this wknd I'll do another test!! We're having a team meeting and some comp style pulled pork. This is a delicious hobby!

"Life's too short to drink cheap beer or eat crotchpot BBQ"

NB Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs: Poncho - Large, and Lefty - Small; Weber Kettles; 6' fire pit; Super fast Blue Thermapen
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauma View Post
I did a test on a new pork recipe this past wknd. It bombed. The best part about our hobby is that we can eat our mistakes, and they're still better than most store-bought BBQ!

One of my earliest memories from this site was a tagline from a guy named Troutman: "The worst BBQ I can make will be the best you've ever tasted". And that is so true.

So, this wknd I'll do another test!! We're having a team meeting and some comp style pulled pork. This is a delicious hobby!

Well put.... Let us know how the next attempt turns out...

Unread 01-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Lake Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauma View Post

My advise to any newbie reading this is to experiment experiment experiment. Take notes. Make a BBQ log or journal. Note times, temps, formulas, sweet to hot ratios, wood used, water pan, no water pan... It will pay off. And, you wont be wasting any money on meat. We can eat our mistakes!!

The A-B test I did was for comp practice. The pulled pork I was shooting for snapped back from being pulled back to sliced status and it was VERY dry. I've had dry before but not a snapping back on pork. I've seen it on brisket but not on pork. Weird! That's the bad news, the good news is, I'm 97% sure I know how to fix it.

I've managed a few that weren't edible... But, for the most part, you're
really right.

So, what happened, or didn't happen?

Unread 01-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Too true. I tried 3-2-1 for ribs after Christmas and while I was not satisfied with the results, no one who had the ribs complained.

I log (blog technically) all of my smokes and include recipes, weather conditions, time/temperature profiles and notes on results. I also make a note of what I would do differently so I don't forget the next time. (Not that forgetting stuff is ever a problem. At least I don't recall it being a problem. )
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Brauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
I've managed a few that weren't edible... But, for the most part, you're
really right.

So, what happened, or didn't happen?
I can't go into details because I was using a technique from a BBQ class. Long story short, it came out dry compared to what I'm used to. All of my taste testers agreed. So, this Saturday I'm going to use the exact same flavor profile but incorporate my moisture-retaining technique which is to wrap tightly in foil for the resting period. I'm still trying to decide if I should smear the bark with Parkay for the wrap like I usually do. I don't that will harm the flavor profile so I think I will.

Ether way, I'm sure it will be delicious

NB Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs: Poncho - Large, and Lefty - Small; Weber Kettles; 6' fire pit; Super fast Blue Thermapen

Unread 01-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great point Mark - I keep saying I am going to start a journal and I never have. That always comes back to bite me when I really liked the outcome of something - cause I can't remember anything any more... As I was cooking a brisket the other day Big Al and I were talking about layering different rubs - and couldn't remember what I had done.

Write it down!!!!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1 18.5 new to me WSM
Super Fast BLUE and RED Thermapen
1 - The Great Outdoors Smoker Sea Bug cooker
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Brauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMAJ View Post
Great point Mark - I keep saying I am going to start a journal and I never have. That always comes back to bite me when I really liked the outcome of something - cause I can't remember anything any more... As I was cooking a brisket the other day Big Al and I were talking about layering different rubs - and couldn't remember what I had done.

Write it down!!!!
We've got an engineer on our team now and he is prompting us to document everything. Every small detail. This has really stepped up our game.

Concerning layering, this is one thing I learned from a major team last year: Layers of flavor... Layers of Flavor!!!

Let one rub sweat in, then sprinkle on another. Light coats. From the injection, to the rub, to the spritz, to the wrap - layers of flavor!!

This is a delicious hobby!

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I haven't been happy with my pork for a long time but it has still always been good. Can't wait to hear how it goes this weekend!
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote