My Authentic Jamaican Jerk Experience.

txschutte

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The wife and I just got back from Montego Bay this morning. Three days of sand, surf, sun, and warmth.

And, of course, I had to make it to a REAL Jamaican Jerk Joint.

After asking for recommendations from the folks that work at the resort, we decided to go to Scotchie's. The place was flooded with locals. We figured it had to be a pretty decent place. The smoke could be smelled a quarter mile up the road.

111_zpsc9326a69.jpg

A few pics of their pits. Two concrete walls with pimento wood coals in between. More pimento straddling the walls, with pork and chicken directly on the wood, covered with some tin.

046-3_zps1e9b8444.jpg

045-2_zps3ddb6e34.jpg

044-2_zps4e1f6a95.jpg

The food had a lighter smoke flavor, and was purchased by the 1/2 slab or whole slab of pork, and by the 1/2 or whole chicken.

047-5_zps70861154.jpg

The sauce was simply regular catsup, to pour over the meat first, then drench it with ground Jamaican Scotch Bonnet peppers. This would light a guy up, so we bought "festivals". They are fried sweet cornbread sticks that stifle the heat when you've had too much.

048-3_zps5098ef25.jpg

I didn't get to hook up with Phrasty while I was down there, so this was really my only experience outside the resort walls, but it was a danged tasty excursion.

Dang that looks great! Three days of sand and sun sound soooooo good right now. Thanks for posting!

Definitely on my list of must eats! I'm into traveling for eating and Jamaican chicken is the only chicken I'm remotely interested in trying.

Hey Shane... It really has been a crazy/hectic Christmas for me man. With 2 weddings, 350lbs of hams and other random caterings it was just out of my reach. :mad: I'm SOO very sorry we didn't get to meet up. I did write you an email to the account you have on your profile... Not sure if you got it though. Was looking forward to getting a call from you. However, Scotchies was the only place I really recommended in the email so I'm glad you got to experience it!

Really hope your trip was enjoyable Brother, and I swear next time you're out here no matter what, the pork's on me! :thumb:

Cheers.

Hey Shane... It really has been a crazy/hectic Christmas for me man. With 2 weddings, 350lbs of hams and other random caterings it was just out of my reach. :mad: I'm SOO very sorry we didn't get to meet up. I did write you an email to the account you have on your profile... Not sure if you got it though. Was looking forward to getting a call from you. However, Scotchies was the only place I really recommended in the email so I'm glad you got to experience it!

Really hope your trip was enjoyable Brother, and I swear next time you're out here no matter what, the pork's on me! :thumb:

Cheers.
HAHA!

Yeah, I checked my emails this morning after getting home and seen you had sent. I try to stay away from my email accounts and interwebs while on vacation.

We'll get hooked up next time!

To me, that is one of the best parts of vacation is to find the most authentic place to eat. Getting away from the tourist traps, and find the places the locals go.

Back