The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #16
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
So, the concensus is that it should be well done because the bacteria on the outer side of the meat could end up getting glued in the middle. That is the concern with beef because we like it rare/med rare and the temp is below 135 and doesn't kill the ugly bugs. That has always been my concern with meat glue. Am I wrong here???
Marty- you are correct if you use traditional cooking methods. I cooked those short ribs (again, not meat glued but at 132 for a week in a SV and would be totally safe with meat glue). You can do the same with the chicken I did.

I use meat glue a lot to bond bacon/prosciutto to whole chicken or whole pork tenderloin and that does not really apply since those are cured, smoked and stay on the outside of the whole muscle.

i"ll dig up some pics
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you wash the meat, you remove the risk of contamination. In Japan, meat is normally washed prior to use, and they often eat the meat rare. That being said, if you have a real sous vide cooker, if you cooked it at 130F for long enough, the meat is pasteurized and does not present a risk.

All that being said, unless you are doing something exceptional, we can usually get great cuts of meat, so there is little need to use meat glue at home. Unless you want to, in which case, it really doesn't present a risk.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #18
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

One needs to understand how to pasteurize. Meat can be pasteurised at temperatures below 135. Have a look at table 5.1 in link below:

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_5.1

Unread 12-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Harry View Post
where can I get some meat glue?
Also

Unread 12-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #20
martyleach
Babbling Farker

That is all great but I have not had Sous Vide that my family or I liked too much. It is very tender and tasty but the meat has been kinda mushy. I /we like it to chew like meat....That being said, we have only had beef, no chicken.
MAK One Star Pellet Grill, Smokey Joe Gold, Jumbo Joe Gold, Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)

www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #21
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
So, the concensus is that it should be well done because the bacteria on the outer side of the meat could end up getting glued in the middle. That is the concern with beef because we like it rare/med rare and the temp is below 135 and doesn't kill the ugly bugs. That has always been my concern with meat glue. Am I wrong here???
Yes you are wrong. Meat can be pasteurised at less than 135. The topic of pasteurisation is complex but table 5.1 in the link below provides a good guide to pasteurisation.

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_5.1