The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
Kriss
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Any good Prime rib recipes?

Any help is appreciated
Kriss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I usually give the roast a good dose of kosher salt and some pepper. Toss it on the Egg @ 350 or so and wait for the internal temp to get to ~120. Take it off, rest it, eat!

If it's not a large roast, then I might lower the pit temp to the 250 tange till the internat gets to ~115, take it off, crank up the heat, and sear the outside - love the reverse sear.

Some folks marinade etc, and if you search you will find some recipes for that. I am sure someone else will chime in soon.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1 18.5 new to me WSM
Super Fast BLUE and RED Thermapen
1 - The Great Outdoors Smoker Sea Bug cooker
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al

Last edited by LMAJ; 12-28-2012 at 07:40 AM..
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

Season, cook, eat. A good thermometer is a must!

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Deep South
Full Fledged Farker

I add a little butter to get a good crust and use pecan and cherry wood.

Unread 12-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

I am a huge fan of the reverse sear... Coat the meat with whatever rub you want, salt and pepper, or montreal steak, or another rub you happen to like on beef. For medium rare, cook it at 225 (i use a chunk of hickory)till the inner temp is 115, pull it, crank the grill as hot as you can make it, put meat back on to sear for a few minutes. Rest for 20 min, then cut.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I've become a fan of the KISS method for rib roasts.

I make a paste of garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper and olive oil and give the roast a nice coating and cook it at 225-ish until it hits 125-130 internal, then rest, slice and eat. It gets a nice color on the outside and a nice even color throughout. The higher cook temps and reverse sear all cook the outer edge more than the middle. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I prefer a more even temp across the roast.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
LMAJ

Dang it all - now you guys are making me want another rib roast for dinner....
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1 18.5 new to me WSM
Super Fast BLUE and RED Thermapen
1 - The Great Outdoors Smoker Sea Bug cooker
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al

Unread 12-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
code3rrt
is Blowin Smoke!

I do the whole prime rib (usually boneless) on my Weber Kettle rotisserie. I rub mine down with worcestershire, montreal steak seasoning and some additional granulated garlic, I try to do this a couple days ahead of time. On the rotisserie with cooker temps 225-250 til IT of 120-125, I add a little mesquite for smoke. while the rib rests I get my cooker as hot as I can usually 400-500, Put the PR back on to give it a good crust, takes about 10 minutes, comes out a perfect rare to medium rare.

Unread 12-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
gtr

Downloads: 2

I hit it with kosher salt and cracked black pepper, cook at 200 until an IT of 120, pull out of cooker, crank heat way up, stick back in for a crust, rest at least 30 minutes and eat.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
captndan
is One Chatty Farker

SPG overnight. KISS
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Evoo and Todds Dirt on the rotisserie here.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Reverse sear. The last one I completely cut off the fat cap. Coated in EVOO, S&P, Lawry's, parsley and Foil Hat Rub -- but you can use most anything. I'm not a huge fan of raw garlic, but do like a chile-garlic rub. I generally cook at 225* with oak until the center is roughly 125*. I take it off to rest, covered in foil for at least 20 minutes. I'll then give it a sear for a couple minutes a side at 600*. Here it is sliced:

You will get temperature cook ranges all over, from 200*-350*. Like Ron_l says, the lower the temp, the more evenly cooked it will come out.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #13
code3rrt
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Reverse sear. The last one I completely cut off the fat cap. Coated in EVOO, S&P, Lawry's, parsley and Foil Hat Rub -- but you can use most anything. I'm not a huge fan of raw garlic, but do like a chile-garlic rub. I generally cook at 225* with oak until the center is roughly 125*. I take it off to rest, covered in foil for at least 20 minutes. I'll then give it a sear for a couple minutes a side at 600*. Here it is sliced:

You will get temperature cook ranges all over, from 200*-350*. Like Ron_l says, the lower the temp, the more evenly cooked it will come out.
That's the ticket right there, I try to get that nice even cook all the way through! Great shot there Gore!

Unread 12-30-2012, 02:44 AM   #14
mistral
Found some matches.

I find it is not easy to achieve even cooking. I guess I am not cooking at a low enough temp. I use a rub of garlic and rosemary and wood smoke is essential!

Unread 12-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/t...prime-rib.html
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote