MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
scotts1919
Full Fledged Farker

Default Butcher paper brisket - masking paper?

Hello all. I was going to make my first attempt at the butcher paper brisket and I had a hard time finding brown unwaxed paper. I did find masking paper at Home Depot which seems to be almost the same as butcher paper. It's brown and doesn't e have any wax, think that will do the trick?

My plan is to high heat it at 300. Take it to 160 internal then wrap in paper until done.

Thoughts?

Thanks
scotts1919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Web definitions - butcher paper;
A strong wrapping paper that resists penetration by blood or meat fluids. Butcher paper is usually white or reddish in colour, made from kraft pulp and is generally considered to have a density of between 30 lb/3000 sq ft (45 g/m²) and 50 lb/3000 sq ft (81 g/m²).

That would be my first choice - resist fluid penetration/saturation.

However - do not know if the coated masking paper is food-safe.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
scotts1919
Full Fledged Farker

Hmmm. The masking paper doesn't have any coating on it.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

The Sam's Club there in Streamwood probably has the proper butcher paper.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
scotts1919
Full Fledged Farker

They have butcher paper but it is the white paper. Not brown. That means it's been bleached.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I use the traditional pink/red Texas BP myself, but many Brethern can't get it without paying way too much online, so they use the white.

I am interested in your reasoning regarding bleached white BP that is rated food safe?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
scotts1919
Full Fledged Farker

I have nothing against it really. Just thought since I'm wrapping up a brisket and throwing it back on the smoker that the white paper might have negative effects cause of the bleached paper. If you say the white from Sams is good to go for my plan then I am okay with it.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts1919 View Post
Hello all. I was going to make my first attempt at the butcher paper brisket and I had a hard time finding brown unwaxed paper. I did find masking paper at Home Depot which seems to be almost the same as butcher paper. It's brown and doesn't e have any wax, think that will do the trick?

My plan is to high heat it at 300. Take it to 160 internal then wrap in paper until done.

Thoughts?

Thanks
It will work just fine. I cook mine at 300 too I don't fool with Meat temp. Cook 4 hrs then wrap it pull it when probe tender At about the 6 hr mark

Old 12-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
scotts1919
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
It will work just fine. I cook mine at 300 too I don't fool with Meat temp. Cook 4 hrs then wrap it pull it when probe tender At about the 6 hr mark

You sure the masking paper will work? Been reading some negative comments here regarding it being food safe ..

Thanks

Old 12-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts1919 View Post
You sure the masking paper will work? Been reading some negative comments here regarding it being food safe ..

Thanks
Paper is paper as long as it isn't coated with something. I have used brown paper bags, Brown craft paper, Brown parcel wrapping paper and never had a problem. Masking paper aint no different, All that FOOD Grade BS is just for marketing to enable them to charge more keep you from buying from someone else that don't charge as much for the same stuff. They do the same thing with Plastic Buckets You can get a Hommer bucket with a lid for 6 bucks. Or you can get a Food Grade one without a Lid for 15 and 7 more for the lid. If you turn them over it is the same plastic grade molded in the same plant and labeled on different lines.