MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
mbshop
Babbling Farker

Default sad moink balls.

i tried doing moink balls for the first time. used some premade frozen meatballs. wrapped in bacon and into my weber kettle with some pecan smoke. took off when it looked good. provided sauce on the side.
maybe it was just me as others seemed to like it but i thought they were rather bland. except for the smoke i could not taste anything, not even the bacon. so i know i didn't use any seasoning or rub but after this i think it does need it. any misses out there and what you did to fix that ? i'm one of those that believes in less is more but these were near tasteless. thanks,

Old 12-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I season mine with a rub and then sauce them near the end of the cook... they are delicious.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I find them to be much better if you make your own meatballs. It is amazing what a little egg, bread crumbs, parmesan and parsely can do to a meatball..... and yes, I give them a rub and sauce them lightly shortly before taking off.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

IMO, you're not missing much... I think moink balls are way overrated, second only to the fatty. I don't go out of my way to make or eat either of these novelties..
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I season mine with a rub and then sauce them near the end of the cook... they are delicious.
Same here. They always end up delicious!
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

IMO Moink's are overrated.

Fatty's are not since you stuff them with anything.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
PigBeter
On the road to being a farker

I agree with you there! I've only made them once, and there's a reason for that! They just seemed really bland to the whole family.
PigBeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
I find them to be much better if you make your own meatballs. It is amazing what a little egg, bread crumbs, parmesan and parsely can do to a meatball..... and yes, I give them a rub and sauce them lightly shortly before taking off.
Homemade is WAY better. Frozen works in a pinch, but you really need to hit em with rub and sauce, but sadly, once you bite into it, it's still bland. I like to hit em with a thinned out Blue's Hog Sauce..........YUM. BH Sauce is always YUM! They are good for feeding a crowd. I like to make em at tailgates. I save the homemade meatballs for the family.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
jimbloomfield
Full Fledged Farker

When I make them we use the frozen ones. Take the frozen meatballs put on the cooker for five minutes take off and wrap with a half slice of bacon . Season the living day lights with Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction and back on the cooker . Flip halfway through cooking a we dunk in sauce and then back on the cooker to finish . The guest eat them all up. Without the rub they would be a little bland.
jimbloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Had great luck with frozen meat balls when I don't have time to make fresh.
I just thaw them for 24 hrs in the fridge. Use thin sliced bacon half strips and wrap them and pin them with a tooth pick. Season them well and toss in the smoker.
When the bacon is crisp on both sides I toss them into a bowl, coat well and put back on the smoker for about 25 minutes to set the sauce. Serve and watch them vaporize in front of my eyes.
I hope you have better luck next time. Never give up.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Moinks need seasoning, my peppered cow moinks came out amazing with no sauce

Old 12-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

MOINK Balls are what MOINK Balls are. Their 15 minutes of fame have long since past.

Someone needs to come up with something new. And that might just be right around the corner...

Sir Larry of Rocklin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

If your MOINKs are bland, maybe try using a spicier rub or a different sauce for glazing or dipping. The last time my son & i did some, we mixed some pepper jelly with BBQ sauce for a mighty tasty dipping sauce.

Another good sauce for MOINKs is Patio Daddio's Guinness sauce.

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2010/0...bbq-sauce.html

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
gtr

MOINKs are a good delivery system for rubs and glaze and smoke. I usually use something like SM Sweet & Spicy and Blues Hog cut with jalapeno jelly and whatever other spicy stuff I have laying around. People love 'em, but I only ever make 'em for a crowd 'cause I can't be eating like that.

"Sad MOINK Balls" would be an awesome band name though.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

I used the cheap frozen meat balls once and that was enough for me. Now I make my own fresh meatballs. Sure they need to be seasoned with rub!!!!!!!! Then sauced at the end and back on to heat up and caramelize the sauce. Frickin AWESOME!!!! Even better the next day reheated for lunch.