MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
hogzgonewild
Full Fledged Farker

Default Counter Tops for Catering Trailer

Guys,

We are setting up a catering trailer, and I haven't talked to the health dept yet (I'm in GA), but we bought two stainless steel tool cabinets that have butcher block tops. They look like they are made for kitchen type purposes, but I know health dept's like stainless steel everything!

Do you guys think I'll be alright with the butcher block tops? If not, I guess I'll have them wrapped in stainless or aluminum and put back on.
hogzgonewild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
smokeitupbbq
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I know all HD's are different but I just got told all my wooden/bamboo cutting boards had to be replaced with plastic. They said no wooden counter tops or cutting boards period, especially with raw meat around (I'd hate to be a butcher in this day an age). I'm setting up for service in Jacksonville next year and decided upon the stainless route. Not many other options anymore, especially mobile. Once again this is Duval County HD that did my trailer review so GA may differ but I'm doubtful, stainless seems to be the standard
[B][COLOR="Gray"]Pitmaster - Kelham Stephenson.
Public Vending, Private Catering & Events.[/COLOR][/B]
[FONT="Impact"][COLOR="Red"]www.smokeitupbbqkitchen.com[/COLOR][/FONT]
[B][COLOR="Black"]720-431-4945[/COLOR][/B]
smokeitupbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
hogzgonewild
Full Fledged Farker

Wanted to post an update: I started feeling a little better last night, because someone made the comment, "take a look at what they make your food on at Waffle House."

I called the Health Department this morning and she said that Butcher Block was fine, as long as you keep it oiled and re-sand and finish it after it gets "deep cuts."

Since all of our meat will actually be prepped on a cutting board sitting in a full sheet pan.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
JimmyDAL
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd still go with the stainless, that's what I did in Connecticut.
JimmyDAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzgonewild View Post
Since all of our meat will actually be prepped on a cutting board sitting in a full sheet pan.
Just remember most HD require your largest pan be able to fit in your sinks. Full sheet pans are huge.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzgonewild View Post
Guys,

We are setting up a catering trailer, and I haven't talked to the health dept yet (I'm in GA), but we bought two stainless steel tool cabinets that have butcher block tops. They look like they are made for kitchen type purposes, but I know health dept's like stainless steel everything!

Do you guys think I'll be alright with the butcher block tops? If not, I guess I'll have them wrapped in stainless or aluminum and put back on.
Do you mind me asking where you got the tool cabinets? Maybe a link?

Thanks!
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I saw those carts the other day at home depot and thought they'd make a great trailer cabinet.

Do you know if they are safe to use for catering (from a health department standpoint)? I ask because one of these years I'd like to do an HD certified vending trailer.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
hogzgonewild
Full Fledged Farker

I was told by our health dept. (Carroll County, GA) that they would be fine as long as the wood was kept Oiled and re-sanded and finished If scratches became deep.

My concern now is, I didn't factor in the wheel well on the side of the trailer, so I may not be able to use them :(

So, Home Depot in Villa Rica may have two more tomorrow!

JT