Need help with my Christmas present

Big Frank

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My son got me a barrel to make a UDS and my future daughter in law painted it.
She said she used 1500 degree paint. The problem is the inside of the barrel has a red paint that I assume needs to be removed. Am I going to ruin the outside if I burn off the inside paint?

Attachments

• IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 197
You run the possibility of ruining the paint, especially since it seems you have the dreaded red liner (for some reason or another the red liners are especially hard to remove)

One option that you could do is to take the barrel to get sand blasted that way you can knowingly preserve the paint, and won't have to fuss with getting the red lining out of the barrel.

:doh: Nice barrel. +1 on the sandblast. Let us know how it turns out

You can always repaint it Black and Purple

baltimore-ravens-logo.png

I'm not a Pats fan, but still I KNOW that there is no way that can become a UDS. That is destined to become a BDS! (Beautiful Drum Smoker)

P.S. Your future daughter-in-law must be something special.

I'm not a Pats fan, but still I KNOW that there is no way that can become a UDS. That is destined to become a BDS! (Beautiful Drum Smoker)

P.S. Your future daughter-in-law must be something special.

That she is.

Thanks everybody. That's what I thought. She spent a lot of time painting it and I don't want to ruin it.

someone on here had success using a paint removing product on the inside of the drum. I think it was called clean strip? They have a thread on the process here somewhere

In your case, you'll need to tape and mask off the outside to save the paint, then apply the spray product to inside. If you are lucky, you can save the paint job.

Hope you can save it. She did a beautiful job! Very talented lady! :thumb:

Back