עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I use it for certain things, don't use it in others. It doesn't offend me, really. I use it in my burger seasoning whenever my wife has a hankering for "fast food." I loathe buying that garbage, but she was raised on Mickey D's, I was raised on Burger King but working fast food in my teens and early adult life, it's just... no. So I add the msg to the burger and fries, and BLAMMO! Fast food craving gone.

Unread 12-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I hear the Mayans warned us of MSG. They claimed it would end the world with mass headaches, paper cuts, diaper rash, and stuffy noses on 12/21/12 or something like that.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #18
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Can't imagine giving up beer, soy sauce and fish sauce, especially. I really feel bad for those of you who can't eat any of these things.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #19
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Can't imagine giving up beer, soy sauce and fish sauce, especially....
Or beef.

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #20
JazzyBadger

Exactly, it's GOOD stuff man. You can't make fried rice without fish sauce. Soy sauce... don't even get me started. I don't go running around adding it to everything I make, but that stuff definitely has its uses, just like any other ingredient.

Unread 12-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #21
buccaneer

Hang on just a cotton pickin minute.
When people ridicule on a factual scientific basis I also get a giggle.
However, I love tomato seed sauces, Parmesan, fish sauce,soy sauce and beer, but I get no symptoms after their consumption.
I get severe symptoms after eating artificial msg, and I know that because I get them when I think I haven't eaten it, but then discover I did.
This is a case of reverse rationalisation and you can bite my mono sodium glute!

Secret Ninja
I miss summer because I like wearing thongs...All Aussies do.

buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #22
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

I don't seek out MSG nor have I ever bought it as a seasoning. But it's in Johnsonville Bratwurst and, as a Sheboygan WI native, I've been eating it a couple times a month since birth without issue.

People are sensitive to different things, so I'm not one to judge in others. But it's never been a problem for me.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #23
rocketmanray
Full Fledged Farker

Never used it, don't like the taste, makes me feel bloated, leaves a metalic taste, ask specifically that it NOT be used when going out for asian food....

It's not good for ya.... "common sense rule" as stated above.

RMR
rocketmanray is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #24
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

My sweetie can not ingest MSG without almost instantaneous lower gastro intestinal massive non-solid total evacuation.........
We avoid at all costs.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #25
Wesman61
is one Smokin' Farker

I've never notice any bad effects from eating it other than taste. If I run across a recipe that calls for it I leave it out. As for fried rice etc I didnt know it was used for those things. I guess if its used in moderation its okay for me. I just don't want it to be noticeable.
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #26
goodscotch
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Check your PM.
Can you send me the same info? I have a problem too.
Thanks,

Unread 12-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #27
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

You guys better never judge a BBQ comp because the use of MSG is rampant. Check just about any comp guys rub and you will see it. MSG - Makes Stuff Gooder.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #28
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
Hang on just a cotton pickin minute.
When people ridicule on a factual scientific basis I also get a giggle.
However, I love tomato seed sauces, Parmesan, fish sauce,soy sauce and beer, but I get no symptoms after their consumption.
I get severe symptoms after eating artificial msg, and I know that because I get them when I think I haven't eaten it, but then discover I did.
This is a case of reverse rationalisation and you can bite my mono sodium glute!
If you can eat those foods without a problem, then I would suggest you have no problems with MSG, but with some additive or impurity in the concentrated MSG that you buy. I would suggest that maybe you try a different producer, but don't blame the MSG.

MSG is about as unnatural as salt. I do know a number of people who have allergic reactions to any food item that has more than three syllables. I had a good friend tell me, "I can eat salt just fine, but sodium chloride makes me break out into a rash."
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #29
mallorjc
On the road to being a farker

"It's not good for ya." Um, I'm no expert, but I like to check my facts, especially when I'm being fed something regularly (there is no avoiding it):
From Wikipedia: "A report from the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) compiled in 1995 on behalf of the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) concluded that MSG is safe when "eaten at customary levels" and although there seems to be a subgroup of apparently healthy individuals that respond with the MSG symptom complex when exposed to 3 g of MSG in the absence of food, causality by MSG has not been established because the list of MSG Symptom complex was based on testimonial reports. This report also indicates that there is no data to support the role of glutamate in chronic and debilitating illnesses. A controlled double-blind multicenter clinical trial failed to demonstrate the relationship between MSG symptom complex and the consumption of MSG in individuals that believed to react adversely against MSG. No statistical association has been demonstrated, there were few responses and they were inconsistent. Symptoms were not observed when MSG was given with food."

That's good enough for me.

Unread 12-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #30
aawa
Babbling Farker

I dont seek things out with MSG, but it doesn't bother me when there is MSG in things. Also I keep some MSG in my pantry. Growing up when we made fried rice (filipino fried rice) we would put some MSG in it and it added more flavor, and whenever I do make fried rice now, I always add a little msg into it.