• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What internal temp do you take...

W

wishinfishin

your briskett off at? Or, do you just cook until the 1.25 hr per lb rule.:?:

Anywhere between 180 and 195, or more, depending on the feel and look of the meat.

For "eating" I take it to 160 internal, foil, get it to 190-195 and remove for "resting" (about 1/2 to 1 hour).

Bout the same for me. I foil at about 160. Take it from the heat at about 190. Want details? Check here.

Raw dog it untill 185-190 then pull, foil and rest in a cooller for 2 hours. I have no issues foiling ribs but have never found a need to foil Brisket and Butts for the actual cooking process.

As close to 180 as possible. When a probe goes in with little to no resistance its time to foil and rest. i wont foil while in the heat unles i am strapped for time. Temp is a tool, not a rule. i would prefer to have it sit at 180-185 for a few hours to break down as opposed to bringing it to 190-195 if it can be avoided. Once the probe slides right in I will foil and give it some cooler time.

This works for me, but my experiences may not necessarily translate for what you need to do. Take it to around 180 I'll check with the fork. If the fork slides in-and-out with no resistants I'm done. I wrap in commercial grade saran and cooler till serving (provided the temp stays above 140). if not done will keep the pit at 225 until internal temp reaches 185 and will recheck. If not done will lower temp of pit to around 200. Once at 190 will see how it "feels" (floppiness and fork test) and make a call if I want to cook it longer or wrap it and cooler. If I'm cooking longer I lower the pit temp to 190.

For me, it depends if I'm cooking a whole brisket or just the flat....

More often, I cook the flats when I don't have all day to cook- I'll bring to 160 deg, then foil and continue to cook up to 185-190. For me, I seem to get better results if I foil a flat.

If I'm cooking a whole brisket - I'll bring to about 185 deg and the meat fork tested done and then take off the heat, foil and wrap.

There are also 3 great links to threads on brisket in the RoadMap section on the top of the Q-Talk forum. Check it out

I keep cooking it until a probe (or fork) slides easily into the flat cross grain. Sometimes that is 190 to 195 sometimes more, even up to 210. I have found that brisket is done when it is done - I always leave plenty of time when cooking brisket - you can always rest it in a cooler but you can't get it done faster.

Back