The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
fedex
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default McRib Reciepe

I saw this on Yahoo about a month ago so I gave it a try. One 5# Butt made 18 patties and they actually really good. I added red pepper flakes, liquid smoke and some Bovine Bold. I'm outting my self here, I'm a McRib fan and proud of it.

McRib
Serves 4
1 pound uncooked pork sparerib meat, cut off the bones of 1 whole rack (you can use pork shoulder, as McDonald's does, instead)
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon white sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 6-inch center-split white sandwich rolls
1 cup Hunt's Original Barbecue Sauce
8 dill pickle slices
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
Combine pork, water, sugar, and salt in a food processor and process on high speed for 30 to 60 seconds or until it's a smooth pink paste.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick foil. Divide the pork puree into 4 equal portions. Using your fingers (wet them with water first), shape the portions of pork on the baking sheet into thin 6-1/2 inch by 3-inch rectangles, or about the size of your rolls. Cover them with another sheet of parchment paper or foil and freeze until pork is frozen solid, about 2 hours.
UDS, Jumbo Joe 2013, 26" Weber, SS Blue Performer, WGA Charcoal, Q100 & Wife Model#1962
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Grabnabber
is one Smokin' Farker

Mmmmmmm..... smooth pink paste.....

(I love McRibs, too. )

Weber OTG
Cast Iron Hibachi
Large BGE
Grabnabber is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
moontz
On the road to being a farker

I think you forgot a step unless you are making pork paste popsicles (which would be ok too)
moontz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting.

I am a fan of PooBah's --"The McPhils Rib sammich"

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=rib+sandwich

The "real deal" there.
I have made a smaller version a couple of times---Great Eats!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
fedex
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabnabber View Post
Mmmmmmm..... smooth pink paste.....

(I love McRibs, too. )
It's a gooey mess after the food processor. Wax paper is key.
UDS, Jumbo Joe 2013, 26" Weber, SS Blue Performer, WGA Charcoal, Q100 & Wife Model#1962
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedex View Post
1 pound uncooked pork sparerib meat, cut off the bones of 1 whole rack (you can use pork shoulder, as McDonald's does, instead)
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/11-amazing-facts-about-the-mcdonald-s-mcrib-170212930.html;_ylt=A2KJ3Cb_X9NQS30AolrQtDMD

3. The McRib is a product of "restructured meat technology."

Rene Arend came up with the idea and design of the McRib, but it's a professor from the University of Nebraska named Richard Mandigo who developed the "restructured meat product" that the McRib is actually made of.

According to an article from Chicago magazine, which cites a 1995 article by Mandigo, "restructured meat product" contains a mixture of tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, which is then mixed with salt and water to extract proteins from the muscle. The proteins bind all the pork trimmings together so that it can be re-molded into any specific shape — in this case, a fake slab of ribs.

deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
retired trucker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre;

According to an article from Chicago magazine, which cites a 1995 article by Mandigo, "restructured meat product" [URL="http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AqKzfedV99pgMeD8ggldGdnJ34dG;_ylu=X3oDMTFqY2d xYjVxBG1pdANBcnRpY2xlIEJvZHkEcG9zAzYEc2VjA01lZGlhQ XJ0aWNsZUJvZHlBc3NlbWJseQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTNjbW5zMG5hBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDZjBhMzk0OGYtZDkyNi0zZDNhLWIxMDItZWRkODVkNT QyYjViBHBzdGNhdANwZXJzb25hbGZpbmFuY2V8bGlmZXN0eWxl BHB0A3N0b3J5cGFnZQ--;_ylv=0/SIG=14kpmr4gm/EXP=1357239558/**http%3A//www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/The-312/October-2011/The-Invention-of-the-McRib-and-Why-It-Disappears-from-McDonalds/"
contains[/URL] a mixture of tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, which is then mixed with salt and water to extract proteins from the muscle. The proteins bind all the pork trimmings together so that it can be re-molded into any specific shape — in this case, a fake slab of ribs.
You lost me there! I was going to get one and see if I still enjoyed them, been a few years since I had one. Nope, nada, ain't gonna happen now.