The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 12-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
bruno994
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Anybody watch the season opener of Pitmasters?

Thoughts...was a bit lackluster to me. I like the idea of lesser known teams, but not real sure about having the restaurant cooks included. Seems like it strayed a bit from the normal comp mode.

Unread 12-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I kind of liked that about it. Not all BBQ is cooked on a Jambo or a Stumps, served in perfect shapes with the same rubs, sauces and techniques and last night really showcased that.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
hogzgonewild
Full Fledged Farker

I thought it was pretty good. I like watching them to see the different types of smokers, and the variety of techniques and recipes used on the food, not for the competition aspect. This one had some interesting cookers. Everything from a Pitmaker using a few pounds of charcoal, to Buzzie's fire breathing dragon, that required a full on forest fire to run.

It sure as heck made me hungry for a 3 lb steak!
hogzgonewild is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
Fat Freddy
Take a breath!

My thoughts are that if it was a show about a BBQ COOKING competition then it was fine for its purpose. If it was COMPETITION BBQ cooking then it left something to be desired. I feel it was about cooking comp and to me if that was the case then the turn in boxes with garnish really is not needed. As a COOKING bbq competition I will watch it again as well as the upcoming shows.

Unread 12-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep...I watched it...it filled the gaps between football for me...that's about it.
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

Ernest is an all-star around the comp. circuit down here. He must have just started using pitmakers cause I remember him showing up one morning this past summer with his Weber kettles and taking GC home that day! lol He also won the chopped grilling series this past summer too, so he knows what he's doing.

For the record, most brisket turn in boxes don't look like what those guys turned in (with the exception of Ernest). I also think they should have left out the garnish, cause we don't do that chit down here in Texas.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
bruno994

Well put Fat Freddy...it has apparently moved more towards a Q cooking competition and not a Comp Q show. And that's fine with me and agree with drbbq as well, I watch the show for tips and ideas, as much as I do to look at what everyone is cooking on. It just seemed other than Ernest, the other 2 haven't had much interaction with others while cooking.
I really enjoyed the Ultimate BBQ Showdown with Tuffy, Myron, Bubba and Neil following Pitmasters. Drbbq, when was this filmed?

Unread 12-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Shiz-Nit
is One Chatty Farker

I liked it myself and I also enjoyed the Ultimate BBQ Showdown that followed it.

Unread 12-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno994 View Post
Well put Fat Freddy...it has apparently moved more towards a Q cooking competition and not a Comp Q show. And that's fine with me and agree with drbbq as well, I watch the show for tips and ideas, as much as I do to look at what everyone is cooking on. It just seemed other than Ernest, the other 2 haven't had much interaction with others while cooking.
I really enjoyed the Ultimate BBQ Showdown with Tuffy, Myron, Bubba and Neil following Pitmasters. Drbbq, when was this filmed?
It was filmed at the Final Four in Houston around March of 2011. It was all the same folks who do Pitmasters and ended up being kind of a test run for that format.
We were under the impression that they were thinking about doing a "Myron takes on all comers" show.
Then along came the new Pitmasters looking very similar but without me, Chris, and Mike Lake so I guess they liked it better with Myron judging. It was fun and I wish them all the best.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Ernest is an all-star around the comp. circuit down here. He must have just started using pitmakers cause I remember him showing up one morning this past summer with his Weber kettles and taking GC home that day! lol He also won the chopped grilling series this past summer too, so he knows what he's doing.

For the record, most brisket turn in boxes don't look like what those guys turned in (with the exception of Ernest). I also think they should have left out the garnish, cause we don't do that chit down here in Texas.
Pretty sure the "General Lee" as its known, still belongs to Pitmaker, I could be wrong but it was not built for "Burnt Bean Company".

George and Victor do a good job of getting their products in the picture so to speak. Big Mista' does not own a Pitmaker either, but lo and behold there was both George and one of their pits on the show immediately afterwards that Dr.BBQ was on.

I was cooking right next to this show in Bedford and was shocked to see it there.

His winnings from the Chopped show were put towards a blacked out trailer with a Black Pitmaker vault on the back, you can see it on their facebook page, its pretty sweet.

And we do, do that here in Texas, whenever KCBS comes to town.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
holysmokes
Knows what a fatty is.

You guys will have to watch Dionn and I compete for the title of BBQ Pitmaster GA next Sunday night.

Unread 12-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #12
bruno994

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmokes View Post
You guys will have to watch Dionn and I compete for the title of BBQ Pitmaster GA next Sunday night.
I'll be there...

Unread 12-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
Full Draw BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

We were at the Bedford comp and watched a lot of the taping, as we were right behind their setup. It was interesting to watch how long the show took to tape. They literally made them open the coolers, and "act" like they were looking for the first time 5 times. They started their briskets in the middle of the night, so those were already cooking when they opened the coolers. The banter between the teams was begged for by the director/producers. The "watching the judges live" was done hours after the judges tasted their food, and they would start the tv, then ask them to comment on it multiple times for each 10 seconds of video. Especially Will, was beaten down and frustrated by the process, but he was asked to be on the show the week before, he never sent in a video.

It was fun to see the show made, and was great to meet Tuffy, Franklin and the King himself!!!!

Lang 60D trailer
Orange Thermapen
22.5 Weber Kettle - retired
Rec Tec Grill
Full Draw BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

I enjoyed the slight change in format. It was good to see different types of BBQ, instead of just competition style. It was interesting (for me) to see how the restaurant chef's had a completely different approach to a turn-in box. It was refreshing that each slice of brisket didn't look like perfect clones.

That's how BBQ was/is outside of a sanctioned competition setting and how it should be (imo).

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #15
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Draw BBQ View Post
We were at the Bedford comp and watched a lot of the taping, as we were right behind their setup. It was interesting to watch how long the show took to tape. They literally made them open the coolers, and "act" like they were looking for the first time 5 times. They started their briskets in the middle of the night, so those were already cooking when they opened the coolers. The banter between the teams was begged for by the director/producers. The "watching the judges live" was done hours after the judges tasted their food, and they would start the tv, then ask them to comment on it multiple times for each 10 seconds of video. Especially Will, was beaten down and frustrated by the process, but he was asked to be on the show the week before, he never sent in a video.

It was fun to see the show made, and was great to meet Tuffy, Franklin and the King himself!!!!
All that for only a $2,000 purse? If they have to go through that the purse should be much higher.

And before anyone asks -- yes, if asked, I would probably compete on there just for the bragging rights. :-)

Erik

1x Backwoods Smoker Extended Party
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote