The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 12-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
smokin-aces
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Trying to get into the BBQ business/competitions

Hey, I've been smoking since about May or so and I have been able to smoke meat well enough that I think I am ready to start selling and competing with it.

Does anyone have any advice on how to start up a small BBQ business? I have about 1000 business cards with my "business" name on it, but are there any tips from ya'll?

Also how would I get into competing with my smoker(s)? Other than being invited. Thank ya'll! Happy smokin'!

P.S what are some good prices for meat? I have mine set at $10 + the cost of meat.
smokin-aces is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
sweetheatbbq
On the road to being a farker

Probably want to look into licensing and getting insurance if you are wanting to sell it.

Unread 12-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
wjwheeler
Full Fledged Farker

Don't quit your day job.
Go to your local health department and check with them on their requirements for catering or vending. Tennessee has some "different" views on this than other states. In addition you will need to get a business license. You also may want to talk with your CPA and an attorney. It ain't simple any more.
As far as competiton, go to kcbs.us and check out the events. There are a lot more in North GA than Tennessee. We have one here in Cleveland the last weekend in July
Good luck on your venture. Small business is the backbone of America. I hope you do well!
Jacks Old South Original Patio Smoker
Jambo - FEC100 - Bradley Smoker - Nfusion
Traeger Texas - Myron Mixon 72XC ordered
wjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

What these guys ^^^^ said. We're in the business of BBQ and it's expensive to do it right and long hours. Be sure you want to commit yourself. Go cook a few contests first. Give some meat to HONEST critics (not your buddies). Get legal. After some local taste testing, I started with a $6250.00 pit, spent a few hundred on permits, $800 on insurance, $1000 on my first meat bill for a 2 day event and we we're off and running.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 2

Look for a local Small Business Development Center (SBDC) they were a ton of help for me. They're free and have a ton of advice/knowledge.
82's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
bruno994

X2 to what jbrink01 stated, go cook some comps first and see how you finish, maybe even judge a few contests. Get some real feedback from the general public by possibly vending at some small local festivals, farmers markets, etc. I love cooking for friends and family, but I know they are probably not giving me the hard truth sometimes. Best of luck to you.

Unread 12-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Contests are a lousy way to spend your money if you are trying to launch a business.

Focus your time and resources on the fundamentals instead.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If I were in your shoes I would formulate a business plan and take it to your local SBA office. They have local business owners who volunteer their time to help people successfully start a business. If you decide to take advantage of this free service, the first thing they will ask you for is a business plan. They will also be able to guide you in the areas of honing your business plan, financing, permits and licensing, government grants or incentives, marketing, accounting and bookeeping etc. Before you invest a dime, formulate a business plan and review it with a representative from the SBA.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #9
que_dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
If I were in your shoes I would formulate a business plan and take it to your local SBA office. They have local business owners who volunteer their time to help people successfully start a business. If you decide to take advantage of this free service, the first thing they will ask you for is a business plan. They will also be able to guide you in the areas of honing your business plan, financing, permits and licensing, government grants or incentives, marketing, accounting and bookeeping etc. Before you invest a dime, formulate a business plan and review it with a representative from the SBA.
That ^^^^ is a solid plan right there.
www.facebook.com/superiorsmokers
Head Pitmaster In Charge, Superior Smokers
que_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

And always remember Yoda's words "Do or do not! There is no Try!" If you keep thinking "I'll try..." you'll never start. Do a few competitions first...catering/vending is a whole different bag of worms...and don't put yourself in a bunch of credit card debt to start...that is a black hole.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

What they ALL said above. If I could elaborate on what CivilWarBBQ said above: Very few if any vendors make a name for themselves in competitions. Mind you, some competitors hone their cooking skills in competitions, but profitable businesses a competition DOES NOT make. Competitions, frankly, are a hobby. Most of us lose money on them. On a good year I've made a few dollars more than I spend, but that was a helluva good year. We compete because we LOVE the competition, and we
LOVE BBQ.

I highly recommend the SBA route. They should also be able to help with things like
licensing, health departments, zoning, etc.

Unread 12-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Wink

If you want to have some fun I'd second the motion on getting in to competition, but only if you have some extra money to spend. If you can't afford to blow a grand on a weekend for no return then stay home or stick to backyard events. Comp BBQ is gambling, and the first rule of gambling is don't play if you can't afford to lose.

Then again if you need a place to unload that inheritance from your late great aunt Sophie, you can purchase an existing operation. I know several people currently wedded to a BBQ business that would be more than happy to sell out and get their lives back. ;)
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
wjwheeler
Full Fledged Farker

My final words.... get with your local Chamber of Commerce about a small business incubator program or other startup business help group. Forget the Small Business Administration. I have no kind words to say about the blood suckers. They are another branch of the government that is a total waste of the tax payers money. That's all I have to say about that.
Jacks Old South Original Patio Smoker
Jambo - FEC100 - Bradley Smoker - Nfusion
Traeger Texas - Myron Mixon 72XC ordered
wjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
smokin-aces
Got rid of the matchlight.

As far as the business side goes, I think I just want to sell enough that on the weekends I can make some extra cash. I definitely don't plan on making a living out of it.

However, I would like to get into some competitions every now and then. I don't have the kind of cash that I could afford to lose a ton of money, but I would like to compete to see how my BBQ stacks up against the rest. Maybe just to perfect my skill and process.

Are there competitions that are free to cheap entry fees and do not require invitation to compete?
smokin-aces is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin-aces View Post
As far as the business side goes, I think I just want to sell enough that on the weekends I can make some extra cash. I definitely don't plan on making a living out of it.

However, I would like to get into some competitions every now and then. I don't have the kind of cash that I could afford to lose a ton of money, but I would like to compete to see how my BBQ stacks up against the rest. Maybe just to perfect my skill and process.

Are there competitions that are free to cheap entry fees and do not require invitation to compete?
As far as free to cheap not a lot. Most KCBS contests are open to any .
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote