The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default What do I do with this rib roast?

So we decided to do prime rib for Christmas instead of turkey. My dad wanted to pay for it so he went and bought these two choice boneless rib roasts. Which was a nice gesture and a lot easier on my wallet. :thumbup:

My question is since it's not in a cryo wrap, will it keep in the grocery wrapping or what? Would it be a good idea to unwrap them and leave them in the fridge to age till Christmas?

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
MisterChrister
is One Chatty Farker

Oh gosh yes, please age them, I'm on the way right now!!!

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Bludawg

Prime Rib Baby, or cut it into steaks.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

I would not unwrap and put into the fridge, you have 10 days before you cook it.

There are many reasons that butchers don't typically age meat these days. For aging to properly improve the quality of a cut of meat, it should contain substantial marbling. This means that there is fat evenly distributed throughout the meat. Only the highest grades have this kind of marbling and make aging successful and worthwhile.

Dry aging is done by hanging meat in a controlled, closely watched, refrigerated environment. The temperature needs to stay just above freezing. Too warm and the meat will spoil, too cold and it will freeze, stopping the aging process. You also need a humidity of about 85 percent to reduce water loss. To control bacteria you need a constant flow of air all around the meat, which means it needs to be hanging in a well ventilated space. The last and most important ingredient in this process is an experienced butcher to keep a close eye on the aging meat. There is a thin line between aged and spoiled.

Because a refrigerator is more of a dehumidifier and removes moisture, and does not have a good ventilated airflow, I would freeze it and then 2 days before cooking, put in the fridge for a slow cold thaw.

Also read... http://bbq.about.com/cs/beef/a/aa030301a_2.htm

Last edited by IamMadMan; 12-14-2012 at 09:52 PM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
code3rrt
is Blowin Smoke!

Yep, I think I agree with Madman for the most part. I would pull it out of the freezer earlier that that, only cuz when I do mine I like to get it all rubbed down with my spices about 2-3 days ahead of the cook. So I guess I'd freeze it now and pull it out about the 20th for the cold thaw. I then cook mine on my Weber roto and have had great results.

Unread 12-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

I've dry aged a few starting a few years ago. Here's the latest on day 1:

and at around 10 days:

It'll be around 20 or 21 days come Christmas. My butcher at the time told me this method: sit it on a cutting board and let it do its thing. It's gotta be around 34 or 36 degrees. No more than 36 though. This will not work in a heavily traveled refrigerator - it needs to be one that is rarely opened, like a garage or beer fridge. I've never tried it with non-prime graded meat, so I can't speak to that. '

This is what I do and it's been giving me fanfarkingtastic results. YMMV!
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
fingerlickin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by code3rrt View Post
Yep, I think I agree with Madman for the most part. I would pull it out of the freezer earlier that that, only cuz when I do mine I like to get it all rubbed down with my spices about 2-3 days ahead of the cook. So I guess I'd freeze it now and pull it out about the 20th for the cold thaw. I then cook mine on my Weber roto and have had great results.
What do you rub your with, if you don't mind me asking?

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
MisterChrister
is One Chatty Farker

It's pretty near impossible to get bacteria into the MIDDLE of a piece of solid beef flesh that resides in a reasonably clean refrigerator on a clean surface. Air flow is good (I run the cord of my small electric sushi rice fan past the seal on the fridge door), as is using a less used second fridge. Beyond that, if you age over a week (preferred), the outside of the roasts will look/be funky and you will trim this off before cooking. Wash your knife after EACH shave/slice/cut as you trim it and don't roll the clean newly exposed inside meat onto parts of the cutting board surface that the outside untrimmed part has touched. The inside will have a wonderfully extra-pronounced beefy flavor and tenderness that will mesmerize your taste buds and your guests. No worries, age it and you will be very glad you did! FWIW, I then slather with butter, rub with kosher salt and a standard herbs de provence blend, the standard for prime rib. Smoke to 120, QUICK sear whole, then rest loosely tented for 20 minutes, slice, and have a foodgasm in your mouth!

Unread 12-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
gtr

^^^MisterChrister just reminded me - the day before cooking, don't forget to cut the stuff off yer roast that doesn't look like food!
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
SPFP
WTFWGALD?

Unread 12-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
Hoss
is One Chatty Farker

Not to contradict anyone.IF it were mine,I would unwrap,place on a rack over a drip pan and put it in the fridge until I wanted to cook it provided my fridge did not get over 36f.60 days is about as long as I would go,after that there are diminishing returns.This is just my opinion based on previous experiences,SEVERAL prior experiences.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #11
gtr

^^^I like that idea about the rack over the pan - I might do that.
SPFP
WTFWGALD?

Unread 12-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
ManakooraMan
Knows what a fatty is.

i think we'd been natural selected to like "aged" beef. leave it uncovered (throw a box of baking soda in the corner of your fridge next to the beef). no worries bruh. 10 days is nothing. on christmas day shave off a thin layer off the surface. Decide if you want yorkshire pudding. If not cover the whole thing with a layer of coarse sea salt on the day of the cook. enjoy.
ManakooraMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
This will not work in a heavily traveled refrigerator - it needs to be one that is rarely opened, like a garage or beer fridge.
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #14
code3rrt
is Blowin Smoke!

Fingerlickin': "What do you rub your with, if you don't mind me asking?"

I rub mine down with worcestershire, Montreal steak seasoning and extra granulated garlic. I usually have the boneless prime rib and try to get this rubbed 2-3 days ahead of time. On the rotisserie at about 250* with some mesquite for smoke. Cook to IT of 125*, off the Q to rest while I get my Q temps up above 400*or hotter and then put the rib back on for 10 minutes or so to give it a nice crust. It has worked well for me, generally get great reviews.

Enjoy your cook.

As to the dry aging time frame, you need to rely on the info from those above, as I've never done that myself, just may have to try it some time.

Unread 12-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #15
Wampus

No matter WHAT you do regarding aging, I've done a herb and garlic paste for my prime ribs in the past and they've turned out fantastic.

I put coriander seeds, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, fresh parsley, a chitload of fresh garlic, kosher salt, whole peppercorns and enough EVOO in a food processor to make a nice paste (while grinding, just add the oil until it's "pasty".

Then, rub that herbalicious goodness all over the roast and smoke it in about a 325-350 degree smoker with oak or mesquite or hickory (or a blend) until the IT is about 115. THEN, reverse sear it by transfering it to a 500d oven or just take it off the smoker, cover and crank the smoker up. Let it go until the IT gets to 5 degrees below where you want it. I like to pull mine when it hits 125 IT, then it ends up a nice med-rare. The reverse sear makes the nice crust on the outside, but doesn't overcook the outer layer like searing it at the beginning does.

You can google "herb garlic crusted prime rib" and get a chitload of recipes for the herb paste.

Good luck! Here's a photo of one I did a couple of years ago.
I'm doing one just like this on Christmas Eve for the wife's family dinner.

Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote