The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default loin ham

has anyone ever tried to make a ham out of a loin? if so how did it go? not looking for canadian bacon. more along the lines of something that could be sliced into cold cuts for sandwiches. thanks!!!
phil
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Hell Fire Grill
Full Fledged Farker

AKA: Canadian bacon.
Hell Fire Grill is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

No I haven't. I have cured and smoked a bunch of CB. I bring them out at an IT of 140. And then slice and fry. I think that if you fully cooked it (152 IT) it would be a bit on the dry side because it is so lean a cut. You might try curing and smoking the coppa bundle(money muscle). It makes some fine ham, fattier tho.

Last edited by bluetang; 12-13-2012 at 08:00 PM..
bluetang is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I just made "buckboard bacon" with a piece of pork loin. Smoked it about 9 hours or so. Great smoke flavor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buckboard bacon02 cropped.jpg (37.1 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Buckboard bacon03 cropped.jpg (61.0 KB, 105 views)

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
Juggy D Beerman
On the road to being a farker

Every Christmas, I cook up pork loins ala Dizzy Pig's Canadian bacon recipe: http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesBacon.html .

I trim the loin down to the eye muscle so that the brine fully penetrates to the center of the meat. (I save those trimmings for grinding.) I know you were not looking for a Canadian Bacon recipe, but this uses a cure. It is the cure that gives ham that hammy taste. If you were to cook a whole back leg of a hog without using a cure, it would taste like roast pork. It would not taste like the ham you were expecting.

I cook the loins to the higher temperature recommended in the recipe. The end product can be served cold for sandwiches. My three sons all agree it tastes better than ham.

Lager,

Juggy
Juggy D Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
captndan
is One Chatty Farker

Morton Salt has a good recipe for pea meal bacon. I use their recipe then slow smoke till done. Best Canadian bacon I ever had. The family looks forward to it at Christmas.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

I have so many pork loins in the freezer right now, they're stacked like cord wood... They're just for makin' Canadian Bacon. Same thing as ham, just a bit leaner. Moist & tender if pulled @ ~150F, foiled and immediately chilled. Cheers!!!

Unread 12-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
GARNAAL
Take a breath!

Default try making some Lonzino ..

I have been making these for a couple of years now...
Very popular by family and friends..
Slice very thin and just a turn of the pepper mill on it.. mmmm..

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/lonzino.pdf

only thing I do different is - I do not stuff them in casings - but just put them in netting and hang them to dry.

here some of my results.. the ones hanging in the dryer are Lonzino.. (the ones laying on top are Bresaola - a cured, air dried beef !!)

and here some sliced up Lonzino

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
NBBD
Take a breath!

Downloads: 2

Looks great Garnaal, My first Bresaola and pancetta are going to dying stage this weekend...

I'll second bluetangs suggestion!

NBBD is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
stanimals2
Full Fledged Farker

I did by accident last time I smoked a loin, had no intention of it and was kinda disappointed over it at first. but I now know that I can take a loin rub it with my pulled pork rub, inject it with apple juice and brown sugar and smoke it over apple and cherry and viola I get ham !!!
stanimals2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #11
code3rrt
is Blowin Smoke!

What you are describing is really Canadian bacon, but I'm guessing you are looking for a different flavor profile? Texture? Some of the ideas above certainly look/sound very good. As far as flavor goes, you can do a lot of things with your brine and smoke to change the flavor profile to your liking.
Let us know what you come up with, would love to hear and see the results.

Unread 12-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #12
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

I recently attempted a CanadianBacon/BuckboardBacon out of a whole loin. I used a tenderquick recipe(Cowgirls I believe) and cured for 6 days in the fridge.

At the end of the process(smoked to 150 IT) the end of the loin that was the whitemeat side was very ham tasting, while the end that has more of the sirloin(or tenderloin?, the redder meat) had a more bacon flavor.

Unread 12-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
captndan
is One Chatty Farker

Would a sirloin tip roast work for the Bresaola?
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
GARNAAL
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
Would a sirloin tip roast work for the Bresaola?
yep!