Cooking Time for Prime Rib?

D

dnelms

My brother and I are using his smoker for a prime rib on Christmas Eve. We've done one before and had a hard time getting it cook enough. We've decided that we did not allow enough time and put it on too late. My question is... is there a general rule of thumb of cooking time per pound at a certain temperature? We're eating around 5pm and want to make sure we allow enough time so we don't have to finish it in the oven again.

Thanks for any suggestions.

D,
I have been doing them for years with success. Everyone has a different idea on cooking times, but you have to smoke it to the inside temp that you want. Cooking times don't matter. So, go to my web site and check out Smoked Prime Rib just for an idea how I do it. www.kickassbbq.com
Merry Christmas
Let me know
Ed

My .02.. I've done a few...

Prime rib is best started out high, theres not alot of connective tiussue in there, so the purpose of the low and slow is to get flavor, not to tenderize. To low, for to long may make it tough.

Start out high.. 375-400. I recommend a heavy coating of Turbinado sugar before you put on your rub of choice. Maintain the heat so it drops slowly over about 45 minutes to 250-275. turn the roast once in that 40 minutes, then move it to a cooler spot and let it go until its 125 inside. At 125 you can either wrap it and let it rest for no less than 20 minutes, or roll it over searing hot coals to char the outside, then wrap it.

cook times on a 17lb roast is 4-5 hours using this method or 15-20 mins per lb. Times can be shortened further, by pushing finish times to 350. That means, i will let it sit at 250 for as long as possible, I like at least 2 hours at the lower temps, then push it with a final blast of heat to correspond to when i want to serve it. the high heat at front and back makes a bark that will KYDITD. (Brian will explain that 8) ).

Thanks guys for the responses. This should get us on our way (the right way) this time.

Merry Christmas

David

I forgot to ask?? How big is the roast your cooking?? and what type of cooker is it your using.. We can give ya better details.

also, please, if u use the recipe in our recipe section, replace this update in the second half of the instructions. Its a better technique than the previous one. For some reason, i cant get it to accept the change. I'll work on it.

For the rub, use a heavy hand of Turbinado Sugar and rub it in well and let sit for about 5 minutes, then rub heavily with montreal steak seasoning. Rub it in and around the entire roast. When its covered, then add some more on top and just tap that on so it stays put. let the roast sit for about half hour, covered. First half hour to 45 minutes I cook in the hotspot or at 350-375 degrees, maybe a little higher. When internal is about 90 degrees(or about 40 minutes for a 15+ pounder) move it to your normal cookin spot and cook at about 250 till internal is 125.
At this point, either cover it and let it rest, or roll it around over searing coals to make a crust. Bring internal to 130, no higher than 135, then take it off and let it sit, wrapped loosly. Let it rest about 20-30 minutes. Temps climb into the 140s. this will yield rare inside and medium on the outboard slices. If you want to go rarer, take it off at 120 and grill to 130 then cover and rest. Usually, i roll it right over the coals in the firebox as close to the coals as i can get. This can also be used on roast beefs, top rounds...... any beef roasts.

BTW.... i have seen 2 roasts at costco, one is a Boneless prime rib and the other is a RibEye.... I THINK there is a diffrence even though they are both Prime ribs cuts, one i think is just trimmed. It looked to me like the ribeye is the 'eye' of the cut, the inside section of the roast, the trimmed eye of the roast.... and the prime rib has that highly marbled outside pieces attached to it. The steaks are bigger and shaped different... ya know those pieces on the outside of the steak that are more well done than the cnter but has the best flavor... thats the stuff....

Picked up some nice primal cuts the other day. Noon meal on Sunday for us using the Phil method. Thanks Phil.

BTW, tribbed?

I know what you are trying to describe as to the different cuts of meat Phil. When I get a roast from the restaraunt supply they are boneless and labeled as "Rib Roast Lip On" or "Rib Roast Lip Off".

Jorge said:
Picked up some nice primal cuts the other day. Noon meal on Sunday for us using the Phil method. Thanks Phil.

BTW, tribbed?

What time do we eat ? :roll:

OK, I found a small 4.5 lb one at $5.89 a lb. Going to fix it for the wife and mother tomorrow.

Thanks for the recipe Phil! Did a couple Sunday afternoon since we pushed Christmas dinner back. Some of the best beef I've ever tasted! Cooked the second one a little longer for the women, children, and sissy men. Both turned out tender, and had incredible flavor.

Cooking time for Prime Rib

I did a 17lb prime rib for Christmas that was probably the best my guest or I have ever had.(Safeway Prime Rib $4.99lb) I dry aged the prime in the fridge for three days. Pan seared the prime in a pan then seasoned with the salt, pepper and garlic. Placed on the smoker with my tempature gage set in the middle of the prime and left it there until it hit 145 degrees (medium rare).
I think the key to any smoked meat is hitting the internal tempature more then how long does it take. Remember smoked barbeque is a food of love, doesnt matter how long it takes, as long as it tastes great.

Attachments

• PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 151
ok.. I am going to GLOAT.... and pass on a recipe..

I made a filet Mignon last night for a couple of friends and my mom.. Of course mom had to tell ME had i should make a tenderloin. :confused: My buddies tried to convince her that even though they never had my fillet mignon, they have had my prime rib. They THINK I know what I'm doing. But as she watches me prep it... Mom insists, you can't do it like that. (Shes 86 and knows everything of course).

The friends jsut watched.. and dribbled. I used a variation of the Prime Rib Recipe.

I rolled the fillet in the marinade(its in therecipe section) and coated with turbinado and let the turbinado dissolve, then rubbed it with Montreal Seasoning and a small amount of Tarragon. Let it sit for about an hour.

I prepped a 22inch kettle for offset cooking with Hickory and JD barrel oak and got temps to 300 with a water pan in the middle. Just before putting the roast on, i added a some more Montreal Seasoning and and some worstershire sauce. Cooked it until temps hit 125. When temp was about 110, i fired up the gasser, put the grates at medium level and got the temps in the gasser to about 600+. When the roast hit 125(took about 50-60 minutes), I put it on the gasser with the remote probe in there and closed the lid, leaving flame on high. Rolled it once.. temps climbed to 135 in a few minutes. Outside seared nicely, but I didn't want it to char. Let it rest for about 20 minutes while i made some mushrooms in red wine with tarragon and chateaubriand sauce.. Sliced into 1 inch to 2 inch steaks witht the sauce spooned next to it.. and mushrooms underneath. (let them put the steak IN the sauce if they want.. I like it without, or on the side.)

Heres the sauce..
1/4 +pound butter, saute with a small amount of garlic and about a shy cup of finely chopped green onions then add
1 1/2 cup red wine (i used a good Bordeaux)
about 12 oz of auj jus(or beef base.. I used Better than Boullion).
1 shot of cognac
touch of lemon juice

simmer and reduce by about 1/2 to 3/4 then add some chopped parsley and finish for about another minute.

Heres the gloating.. I tasted the steak as I was slicing(got me the ends.. chefs choice :mrgreen: ). Had one bite, I knew i nailed it.. this was by far the best i ever did.. it was unbelievable.. my reaction was "holyt sh*t".

As I served, everyone was polite, waited for Sharon and I to sit down, even though i said "chow down, dont wait".. Well, I was glad they did becase i got to see the initial reaction. Watched as everyone took the first bite. Wanted to see if they reacted like i did.... My mom.. on the irst bite.. she STOPPED and looked at everyone else, with her eyes wide open.. stil chewing.. .. my friends.. one just smiled and sat back and moaned as his eyes rolled.. James was cutting the steak with his fork, no knife..

My other buddy, the one who told her to let me do my thing... looked at Mom and waited.. it was the first time in 20 years my mom shut up :twisted: .. finally.. her only words.. "Oh my god, how did u do this..?"

i told her I ordered out. :mrgreen:

Proud papa mod, but of course ya play it cool.

Now THATS why we do this stuff. .those reactions make it all worth wild. when someone asks why we babysit briskets all night.. its not to feed ourselves. its to feed friends and family and make there eyes roll into their heads. :shock:

I think you're well within your rights to gloat cause I didn't even taste it and I'm drooling here.:biggrin:

I've bought my prime rib, let it age 3 days, and done the above recipe. I can't cook it until the weekend, so it got vacuum sealed and put in the freezer.....we'll have to see if turns out as well doing it this way......

Solidkick said:
I've bought my prime rib, let it age 3 days, and done the above recipe. I can't cook it until the weekend, so it got vacuum sealed and put in the freezer.....we'll have to see if turns out as well doing it this way......

So how did it turn out, Gary?

Back