MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon
Default Yield on a chuckie-Shopping complete

Going to smoke a Chuckie for my office Christmas party. I was thinking about a 10# would yield 70% or 7#. Figuring on 1/4# sammie would give me 28 sammies. Does this sound right? Going to feed about 20 folks. With additional sides and such this may be just about right. Let me know your thoughts.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove

Last edited by Bluesman; 12-04-2012 at 03:55 PM..
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Going to smoke a Chuckie for my office Christmas party. I was thinking about a 10# would yield 70% or 7#. Figuring on 1/4# sammie would give me 28 sammies. Does this sound right? Going to feed about 20 folks. With additional sides and such this may be just about right. Let me know your thoughts.

It sounds right, but from experience I have learned to intentionally go over the amount required as a buffer for the heavy eaters. Worst case scenario is you make someone happy by giving the left-overs away.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Let me say first thing, I am on the "leftovers are good and running out of meat is bad" side.

I would estimate more like 50-60 percent yield and 1/3 lb per serving.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I agree to err on the up side. It's only a few $ per lb so more is better than less. I did one this weekend and the yield was way higher than a brisket or butt. Was kind of surprised. I think you are OK on your 70% assumption but still think you should go a little more. My guess is that people don't get to eat awesome food like this very often (you would be shocked how the other half eats) and there will be some dudes "who just can't stop eating it". There's always a few in a crowd (same people that will talk to you about it in March...."dude, remember that meat you made at the Christmas party?......)
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

So from the consensus it looks like I need to add more meat. Think I'll do (2) 8# chuckies and bring 4 dozen rolls. This would account for anywhere between a 1/3# - 1/4# sammie. thanks folks.............
Kitchen stove

Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Michael Cowley
Knows what a fatty is.

Well I got a chuckroll that was 28.71lbs and it yielded right at 15lbs
Michael Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cowley View Post
Well I got a chuckroll that was 28.71lbs and it yielded right at 15lbs
whoa. Much more like a butt or a brisket. I would have thought that but mine did not have that much shrinkage. I was suprised. didn't weigh it after but I could tell it wasn't as pronounced as a normal brisket or butt.

Better be safe and go with more meat. Shame
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Michael Cowley
Knows what a fatty is.

Well after pulling I put in vac seal bags and each bag weighed 5lbs except the last one it was like 4.11
Michael Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

So i picked up a 19.71# chuck roll. Have done this many times and never write anything down Anyway figured I rub it down with coarse salt, pepper, onion, and garlic powder. Rest overnight and then smoke tomorrow until 160* internal then transfer to a pan with yellow peppers, red onions and some beef stock. Cover until finished. Let rest then start pullin. Thanks for the help. I'll post PRON later. Found some really nice Kaiser rolls and horsey sauce to go with it all. Sorry for the phone pic can't find my camera
Kitchen stove

Last edited by Bluesman; 07-11-2022 at 02:31 AM..

Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

Sounds like you got it figured out Bluesman. Your co-workers are in for a real treat! Plan on being a hero the next day.

Fon du Lac is not that far of a drive if, ya know, you need some help eating and everything.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
Sounds like you got it figured out Bluesman. Your co-workers are in for a real treat! Plan on being a hero the next day.

Fon du Lac is not that far of a drive if, ya know, you need some help eating and everything.
Thanks Brother. The party is in Edgerton and you're more than welcome to come on down.
Kitchen stove

Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Looks like you're in like Flynn. They will def be eatin good
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Thanks Brother. The party is in Edgerton and you're more than welcome to come on down.
Thanks for the offer! But ever since the infamous "Cheez-Wiz/Saran Wrap incident" of 1988, I'm not allowed within the Edgerton city limits anymore.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
Thanks for the offer! But ever since the infamous "Cheez-Wiz/Saran Wrap incident" of 1988, I'm not allowed within the Edgerton city limits anymore.
Hey, I know people, who know people.............Your're good to go. Wear a mask and tell them you're batman
Kitchen stove