The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Dry Rub, and BBQ sauce fundamentals. Input from real pitmasters wanted.

Looking for Dry Rub, Baste, and BBQ sauce recipes or fundamentals.
My dry rub consist of
Paprika
Seasoning salt
Black pepper
Ground Ginger
Ground Cumin
Ground Mustard
Brown Sugar
Sugar
Garlic powder

Looking for other ideas or even recipes of BBQ basics Mainly pertaining to pork shoulders, and ribs. I mainly use apple if that helps with spice pairing.
Maybe some competition guys will speak up.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

yup...thats the list. You now have 99% of all rubs....now sit down in small batches and play with ratio's. Find the one you like and use it. In your mixing consider what flavors are hitting your palate first, second and what is the finish? Want some salty, sweet and burn going on. Have fun! Personally I use rib rub number 5 at home. Scott
1 WSM 18,1 WSM 22
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Knows what a fatty is.

Also some input on what flavor profiles basic ingredients have. Like brown sugar for sweetness.

Unread 12-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
sweetheatbbq
On the road to being a farker

If you are looking for a good basic rub just look up Chris Lilly Championship rub. All the ingredients and ratios are online. I used that a lot but just kicked up the cayenne.

Unread 12-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
code3rrt
is Blowin Smoke!

You'll certainly get all the info you need here, but essentially it will come down to your own personal tastes, but it is a lot of fun experimenting along the way.

I'm certainly no pitmaster here, just my .02 based on my personal experience combined with all the advice I've gotten from the brethren.

Unread 12-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

My wife and I are in the midst of the "try this and try that" phase. I have learned there is no magic bullet and what works for one won't work for someone else.

Also, if you are thinking competition and wanting to get ideas to use - you will find most folks will give you general guidance and expect you to run with that. Don't expect detailed specifics. It could happen, but that is the exception, not the norm.

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
captndan
is One Chatty Farker

SPG&P is the base for most any rub. Start there and go from there. KISS
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'll give you a little secret on the Sweet component. Use Splenda the Sweet carries over better and it don't scorch or clump up. I used to do all that mass mixing any more it is GOSP and maybe some GP For 95% of every thing I do. Let the meat be all it can be.

Unread 12-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Unless you are very experienced with spices and blending, more than 5 or 6 ingredients and you will be muddying up the flavors of the spices you are using.

Balance is important, each flavor must be balanced in a spice blend, there is no point in adding a spice if you cannot taste it.

You cannot effectively evaluate any rub or sauce without cooking it onto meat, in smoke. Weird stuff happens once you add heat and smoke.

Test out the rub first, if the rub doesn't work, the sauce will not fix it. Then add the sauce ideas, until it complements the rub and meat.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here is a good hint for you. Use country style ribs to test out your various rub combinations. It's much faster and cheaper than using full butts.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
captndan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Unless you are very experienced with spices and blending, more than 5 or 6 ingredients and you will be muddying up the flavors of the spices you are using.

Balance is important, each flavor must be balanced in a spice blend, there is no point in adding a spice if you cannot taste it.

You cannot effectively evaluate any rub or sauce without cooking it onto meat, in smoke. Weird stuff happens once you add heat and smoke.

Test out the rub first, if the rub doesn't work, the sauce will not fix it. Then add the sauce ideas, until it complements the rub and meat.
I couldn't have said it better!
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmonkman View Post
My wife and I are in the midst of the "try this and try that" phase. I have learned there is no magic bullet and what works for one won't work for someone else.

Also, if you are thinking competition and wanting to get ideas to use - you will find most folks will give you general guidance and expect you to run with that. Don't expect detailed specifics. It could happen, but that is the exception, not the norm.

Brian
I am fully aware of this. I don't plan on ever cooking in the competition circuit. I have never been the type of person to jump through ridiculous hoops. Seriously who serves BBQ on a bed of lettuce :/

Unread 12-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

AmazingRibs.com is another great resource. I know Meathead personally and he puts a ton of passion into his work. I call him The Barbecue Whisperer. Dude is like a fluffier and fuzzier Alton Brown.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
AmazingRibs.com is another great resource. I know Meathead personally and he puts a ton of passion into his work. I call him The Barbecue Whisperer. Dude is like a fluffier and fuzzier Alton Brown.

John
+1

I use his stuff all the time!