• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Butchers Brisket Injection Mix

McEvoy AZ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have used Butchers Brisket Injection and had some luck with my briskets. I have a belief either right or wrong that if I mix my brisket injection with something that whould make it a bit thicker it would work better. I have seen Tuffy Stone inject his briskets on BBQ Pitmasters and it looks like his injection seems to be real thick. What might I use to mix with my Brisket Injection to not riun the beef flavor but to thinken the injection so it stays in the brisket better. I recently used this same idea with my pork and I took a clear 1st place and so my theory for pork seemed to work. I was thinking papaya or peach nector or even pinapple juice. I have heard even beef broth might work. Any ideas?

In my limited experience, mixed with beef stock will make it thicken up a bit.

Beef broth, coca cola, lil soy sauce and some Worcestershire have worked very well for me.

I use beef broth with Butchers and I don't notice any thickening. I also noticed Tuffys injection seemed thick, sounds like a good idea. He might be using some aus jus powder or something. I personally would not use any fruit juices with brisket, it doesn't go well with beef IMO. I would be careful in using something that might take away the natural beef taste of smoked brisket. I think Butchers and Kosmos (only ones I've tried) do a good job of not doing this. Perhaps some sort of tasteless thickener?

Not sure what Tuffy does but You would need to reduce stock to thicken it. You could also add a little corn starch before reducing and that will make it even a little thicker.

Looking at the ingredients, both Butchers and Kosmos list xanthan gum as the last ingredient. It's supposed to be a tasteless thickener. Perhaps more can be added w/out throwing off the flavor of the injection. Light corn syrup is also next to tasteless and perhaps adding a couple tablespoons would work. Other wise what centex ^ says could work.

It may be my color blindness, but Tuffy's looks like it has a yellow color (like a mustard look).

I screwed up my brisket big time in my last competition. Tuffy was there and competed too. I came in 11th. He came in 10th. My injections also used Butchers and it wasn't thick. If I hadn't screwed up (and I know what I did wrong now) I would have scored much better. Overall, I came in 4th, Tuffy came in 5th.

So what? The point is, just use what you like. I don't use phosphates when cooking at home and my briskets come out good all the time.

Seriously, bro, don't get caught up in what other people do. It isn't worth it. You know what's good and you know what you like. Stick with that.

This brisket had no phosphates. It was just BBQ'd straight up. That's the way I prefer it and I bet most people prefer it that way too.

picture.php

I screwed up my brisket big time in my last competition. Tuffy was there and competed too. I came in 11th. He came in 10th. My injections also used Butchers and it wasn't thick. If I hadn't screwed up (and I know what I did wrong now) I would have scored much better. Overall, I came in 4th, Tuffy came in 5th.

So what? The point is, just use what you like. I don't use phosphates when cooking at home and my briskets come out good all the time.

Seriously, bro, don't get caught up in what other people do. It isn't worth it. You know what's good and you know what you like. Stick with that.

This brisket had no phosphates. It was just BBQ'd straight up. That's the way I prefer it and I bet most people prefer it that way too.

picture.php

Amen. I'm salt pepper and smoke on brisket. That looks awesome btw. I'd hit that hard. Real hard

Use kosmos reserve brisket that I doctor up!Tried the butchers, didn't care for it. You want beefy, use beef consumme! You want it thicker, mix in some Guarcol! Medical grade. My wife's a doctor, so this stuff is easily obtainable. I can neither confirm or deny the use of this product in my comp injection! :bow:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3bxOghv-rQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]UDS brisket J$ style - YouTube[/ame]

My friend who has traveled all over the world, but does not know American BBQ told me that papaya was used to make a great brisket. It does seem to sweet but the necture would be a great thickener to the injection I would think.

You could always make your injection thicker by using less water (or whatever you use) when mixing it up, right? Wait, that's too simple - am I being punked?

McEvoy, fresh papaya and pineapple both have enzymes (Papain and Bromelain) that break down meats and 'tenderize'. Packaged pre-marinated flats will often be treated with these enzymes. Nobody on this forum need mess with the stuff though.

You might want to try some Smoky Okies "Deep Beef" with the Butchers Brisket injection. I mix mine in graduated Nalgene Quart jars usually on Friday, refrigerate and inject Saturday evening. I've mixed it up to 3 days prior to a comp.

I have heard that the seeds of papaya where actually used to breakdown or tenderize brisket. The seeds will not thicken the injection though

picture.php

:hail: I'm not worthy...Oh, wait...yes I am. Send some over asap!

I use beef broth with my Butchers injection. I mix and chill it the night before I inject. The mixture seems to stiffen up when chilled, so if you chill it before injecting. It seems to work better.

Papain can leave the brisket mushy if injected. I did not like the results at all

Back