The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
McEvoy AZ
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Butchers Brisket Injection Mix

I have used Butchers Brisket Injection and had some luck with my briskets. I have a belief either right or wrong that if I mix my brisket injection with something that whould make it a bit thicker it would work better. I have seen Tuffy Stone inject his briskets on BBQ Pitmasters and it looks like his injection seems to be real thick. What might I use to mix with my Brisket Injection to not riun the beef flavor but to thinken the injection so it stays in the brisket better. I recently used this same idea with my pork and I took a clear 1st place and so my theory for pork seemed to work. I was thinking papaya or peach nector or even pinapple juice. I have heard even beef broth might work. Any ideas?
McEvoy AZ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
cpw
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

In my limited experience, mixed with beef stock will make it thicken up a bit.
UDS
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Dixie Meat Rub
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Junebugg1999
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Beef broth, coca cola, lil soy sauce and some Worcestershire have worked very well for me.
Junebugg1999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

I use beef broth with Butchers and I don't notice any thickening. I also noticed Tuffys injection seemed thick, sounds like a good idea. He might be using some aus jus powder or something. I personally would not use any fruit juices with brisket, it doesn't go well with beef IMO. I would be careful in using something that might take away the natural beef taste of smoked brisket. I think Butchers and Kosmos (only ones I've tried) do a good job of not doing this. Perhaps some sort of tasteless thickener?
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Not sure what Tuffy does but You would need to reduce stock to thicken it. You could also add a little corn starch before reducing and that will make it even a little thicker.
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

Looking at the ingredients, both Butchers and Kosmos list xanthan gum as the last ingredient. It's supposed to be a tasteless thickener. Perhaps more can be added w/out throwing off the flavor of the injection. Light corn syrup is also next to tasteless and perhaps adding a couple tablespoons would work. Other wise what centex ^ says could work.

Unread 11-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
wjwheeler
Full Fledged Farker

It may be my color blindness, but Tuffy's looks like it has a yellow color (like a mustard look).
Jacks Old South Original Patio Smoker
Jambo - FEC100 - Bradley Smoker - Nfusion
Traeger Texas - Myron Mixon 72XC ordered
wjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I screwed up my brisket big time in my last competition. Tuffy was there and competed too. I came in 11th. He came in 10th. My injections also used Butchers and it wasn't thick. If I hadn't screwed up (and I know what I did wrong now) I would have scored much better. Overall, I came in 4th, Tuffy came in 5th.

So what? The point is, just use what you like. I don't use phosphates when cooking at home and my briskets come out good all the time.

Seriously, bro, don't get caught up in what other people do. It isn't worth it. You know what's good and you know what you like. Stick with that.

This brisket had no phosphates. It was just BBQ'd straight up. That's the way I prefer it and I bet most people prefer it that way too.

[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I screwed up my brisket big time in my last competition. Tuffy was there and competed too. I came in 11th. He came in 10th. My injections also used Butchers and it wasn't thick. If I hadn't screwed up (and I know what I did wrong now) I would have scored much better. Overall, I came in 4th, Tuffy came in 5th.

So what? The point is, just use what you like. I don't use phosphates when cooking at home and my briskets come out good all the time.

Seriously, bro, don't get caught up in what other people do. It isn't worth it. You know what's good and you know what you like. Stick with that.

This brisket had no phosphates. It was just BBQ'd straight up. That's the way I prefer it and I bet most people prefer it that way too.

Amen. I'm salt pepper and smoke on brisket. That looks awesome btw. I'd hit that hard. Real hard
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
Cloudsmoker
Take a breath!

Downloads: 1

I wish I could trade this tablet in for a TastePad right now.

Unread 11-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
jmoney7269
Banned

Use kosmos reserve brisket that I doctor up!Tried the butchers, didn't care for it. You want beefy, use beef consumme! You want it thicker, mix in some Guarcol! Medical grade. My wife's a doctor, so this stuff is easily obtainable. I can neither confirm or deny the use of this product in my comp injection!
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #12
McEvoy AZ

My friend who has traveled all over the world, but does not know American BBQ told me that papaya was used to make a great brisket. It does seem to sweet but the necture would be a great thickener to the injection I would think.
McEvoy AZ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #13
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Injecting a brisket? I would never.

Unread 11-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

Dang Bo, that brisket looks ridiculously good. No injections?

Unread 11-28-2012, 01:07 AM   #15
shares

You could always make your injection thicker by using less water (or whatever you use) when mixing it up, right? Wait, that's too simple - am I being punked?

McEvoy, fresh papaya and pineapple both have enzymes (Papain and Bromelain) that break down meats and 'tenderize'. Packaged pre-marinated flats will often be treated with these enzymes. Nobody on this forum need mess with the stuff though.