The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
JRoman
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First brisket in my UDS

I am looking for some information on how long to smoke my brisket. It is a 16 pound meat. I was thinking around 12 hours at 250, am I close at guessing the time. I know it needs to get to 195 degrees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
JRoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

12 hours would be a good time to check for tenderness, I bet it'll need a couple more hours though.

Unread 11-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Skidder
Babbling Farker

As above said check at 195 for butter soft probe tenderness
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Daggs
Full Fledged Farker

Mine yesterday was done @ 325* for just under 9 hours on a 14# brisket. I have found that when the point hits 207* it probes like buttah!
Good luck, keep us posted

Unread 11-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggs View Post
Mine yesterday was done @ 325* for just under 9 hours on a 14# brisket. I have found that when the point hits 207* it probes like buttah!
Good luck, keep us posted

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
JRoman
Found some matches.

I like the 325 I won't have to get up at 4:00 to start. But with the higher heat will I sacrifice tenderness?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
JRoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Absolutely not. You don't need no thermo cook it until it probes tender.

Unread 11-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Edward Alt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My first experience on a UDS was this last Sunday. I had borrowed a UDS from my boss and had picked up a big prime packer weighing 18.9 lbs before trimming. It had alot of fat. Fired up the UDS minion style and had it pegged at 270 with two lower vent holes wide open and top vents wide open. Put brisket on fat cap down at 6:30 pm and ran some errands. When I came back still pegged at 270. Opened a third hole and bumped the temp a little. Opened the fourth and temp got up to 340 and stayed. When it hit 160 internal I flipped it and put it in a large aluminum foil pan, and sealed top with foil. When it hit 210 internal I took it off (about 12:30 am). Six hours total cook time. Half hour rest then sliced and off to bed. Best brisket I've smoked. If you use a foil pan, be careful not to spill the boiling drippings like I did. Next time I'm wearing my fryer gloves!

The next afternoon I chunked up the point, fired up my miniwsm, and put the chunks back on in an aluminum pie pan for another two hours with some extra rub. Resulted in my first successful burnt ends.

Unfortunately I will have to return the UDS soon, so I've started gathering parts to build my own.

Last edited by Edward Alt; 11-23-2012 at 06:37 PM..
Edward Alt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

The type of cooker doesnt mattter smoking from 225 to 325 the main objective is to get the brisket to 195IT then start probing for tenderness... there is no magic time or temp, there are parameters to follow until you get to a certain temp then its all about the meat being probe tender. Some briskets do it at 198 and other 203 and any combo in between, each piece of meat is individually different but the temps and times will always vary, just wait for the right feel with a probe and you will be OK.... Smoke on Brother!!!!
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Just BS
Take a breath!

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and use the search function. Use the term "basic brisket". You will find a great tutorial there.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote