|Recipes||Smoke Signals Magazine||Welocme||Merchandise||Associations||Purchase Subscription||Brethren Banners|
|Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.|
|11-21-2012, 08:59 PM||#1|
On the road to being a farker
Join Date: 07-28-11
Location: Westminster, MD
Early Thanksgiving (with dessert)
Since I'll be gone for the holiday we celebrated Thanksgiving a day early this year. This was the first time I've ever put a turkey in the smoke so I was a bit nervous to be doing it on the big day. But after reading post after post from the brethren, I felt confident I could do it. Thanks to you're help, the bird was outstanding. >>Pictures below<<
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!
15lb frozen turkey defrosted & brined:
1.5 c light brown sugar
1.5 c kosher salt
12 cloves of garlic lightly crushed
2tbsp black peppercorns
1 sm bunch rosemary
1small bunch thyme
Removed from the brine after about 36hrs & pat down to dry. I brushed it with olive oil and sprinkled with pepper & kosher salt all over.Then it was into the UDS at between 270-280. There were a few lapses in the temperature vigilance during the dayso it took about 6hrs to get the internal temp to 165. I let it rest for just over an hour, sliced it up, & enjoyed the best turkey I've ever had.
I made a pumpkin pie with brown butter & pecan streusel to go with it. Here's the recipe.
Brown butter pecan streusel
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 2 tablespoons butter
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (4.67 ounces) flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Generous 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
Generous ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Toast the pecans: Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until lightly browned and fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove and set aside until cool enough to handle, then chop.
2. Brown the butter: In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter and cook until the water evaporates and the butter solids turn a rich golden-brown (they will sink to the bottom of the pan). Whisk or stir the butter frequently as it cooks so it browns evenly. Remove from heat and pour into a measuring cup or bowl. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and chopped toasted pecans. Drizzle over the cooled butter. Mix well to combine. Scatter onto a rimmed baking sheet and set aside to cool. Crumble before using.
Frozen deep dish pie crust
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground clove
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
Prepared streusel topping
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin purée, dark and light brown sugars, ginger, vanilla, eggs and evaporated milk. Sift the cornstarch mixture into the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
3. Pour the filling into the crust. Place the pie in the center of the oven and bake until the custard is almost set but not completely baked through, about 45 to 50 minutes. Sprinkle a layer of streusel topping over the pie (you may not use all of the topping). Continue baking until the custard is completely set (it will shake like firm jelly when tapped), and remove to a rack. Cool completely before serving.
|11-21-2012, 10:36 PM||#2|
Quintessential Chatty Farker
Join Date: 03-22-04
Location: Allen, Texas
Great lookin' meal there!
Texas Mega-Bash is just around the corner! Join us in October at Lake Belton. (link)
Large Big Green Egg
Weber One Touch Gold
Super Fast, Super Accurate Orange Thermapen
"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre
(")_(") "Hang in there Dan Chambers!"
|brine, dessert, Pumpkin, smoke, turkey, uds|