The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
jedininja
Got rid of the matchlight.

Question Recommend a good santa maria smoker or smoker/grill combo

Hi all...I am a newbie to smoking...mainly do more of grilling on my weber kettle but after trying smoking a few times I am hooked:)
I want to replace my old weber with a new santa maria grill/smoker or a smoker/grill combo. I prefer something that can grill and smoke at the same time as I dont have enough room for two separate units. I looked at AZ BBQ Outfitters and Engelbrecht grills. Do you have any other recommendations?

If the only option is to get a separate smoker then should I get a pellet smoker or offset smoker? I want something that is easy to maintain temps on. I have heard offsets are hard to maintain temps..is this true? Do you guys use a BBQ guru attachment on offsets?

I like the Gator Pit and Lang offset smokers...they seem well built. Any other recommendations for pure offset grills?

Thanks guys!
jedininja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
sknabnoj
Full Fledged Farker

Check these guys out:
http://www.jdfabrications.com/?wpsc-...n-bbq-grill-48

They have a combo set up that looks pretty cool, can't do both at the same time but, still pretty sweet looking.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
jedininja

I like it:) are these guys reliable and reputable? I have not heard of them. I am also considering getting a Lang or Lonestar Grillz reverse flow smoker that has a grate on top of the cooking box for grilling. I can get a separate santa maria grill in this case.

Do you guys think reverse flow stick burners are better than pellet grills? I dont want to be attending to my cooker frequently..If I end up getting the reverse flow smoker then I will make sure to get a BBQ Guru attachment as well.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
eggzlot
Full Fledged Farker

If you do not want to attend the fire frequently do not get a reverse flow, even if you get a Guru, it really will not matter much. Get a vertical insulated smoker, a pellet smoker or a ceramic komodo cooker. Do not get a reverse flow/stick burner.
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
Ozric
On the road to being a farker

Here's another great option to consider from Arizona BBQ Outfitters, the Scottsdale Cooker. And check out Rob's (Wingman) review and a number of cook videos using the Scottsdale. Not inexpensive, but really versatile.
Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100
SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
jedininja

Yes I have seen the scottsdale cooker in action on his youtube video and am quite impressed. It is a good contender..I will ask him how he likes it..thanks guys for the info.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

what kind of capacity do you want?
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
1buckie
Babbling Farker

These folks are right up the roa from me in Central California.....seen a few of their products & they are really well built.....

http://www.norcalovenworks.com/
1buckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #9
SmokerKing
is One Chatty Farker

I bought my basic Santa Maria cooker from AZ BBQ Outfitters. Good quality, welds, design, etc.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #10
Piggysquealers
On the road to being a farker

Engelbrecht grills are the best santa maria cooker IMHO. They have a lid and an additional offset firebox for smoking. They are what you see on Bobby Flays grilling shows

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
Bkultra
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggysquealers View Post
Engelbrecht grills are the best santa maria cooker IMHO. They have a lid and an additional offset firebox for smoking. They are what you see on Bobby Flays grilling shows
Agree these are very nice grills. He also uses one from (http://www.grillery.com/index.html)... More Argentine asado but similar concept. But based on the OPs request for a combination smoker/grill I have to agree with the Engelbrecht recommendation
Bkultra is offline   Reply With Quote