MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Default First Try at Smoked Bacon - PR0N

A couple of weeks ago I picked up 10 lbs of pork belly. I trimmed it up, cut it in half, and used Cowgirl's curing recipe #1. I put each half in a 2 gallon ziplock, put in the fridge and flipped every day.

At the end of seven days I noticed the bellies weren't very firm so I fried up a sliver and it tasted half like bacon, half like a pork chop. I decided to cut the halves in half again to allow the cure to penetrate better. I re-salted and put them back in the fridge for four more days. After a good rinsing, I put them back in the fridge overnight to form the pellicle. I then rubbed cracked pepper on, but a lot of it fell off during slicing.

I smoked them in my BWS Party. I used the Amaz-n-Smoke tray with a mix of hickory, cherry, and apple pellets. I placed the tray in the ash pan, but the airflow wasn't good enough for a good smoke output. I put the tray in the charcoal basket which allowed better airflow under the tray and plenty of smoke.

The pellets burned for six hours (I lit both ends). The temp averaged about 80F and crept up to 99F at the end when the sun hit the smoker.

I pulled the bellies and put them in the freezer to firm up for slicing. I sliced at about 1/8" thick on a meat slicer. It worked pretty good, but the meat has to be kept nearly frozen. I vacuum packed eight bags with 24 slices each, and two bags of chunks to put into red beans.

I just fried some up and it is real good! It is a little on the salty side. That may be from the second round of cure, or it could be because I didn't soak the bellies in fresh water after curing.

Here are a few pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0692.jpg (66.3 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (66.3 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0700.jpg (49.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (56.9 KB, 127 views)

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow, they sure came out cured!
Color is nice too!

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Fine lookin bacon!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
IamMadMan

Looks great.......

Thanks for sharing...
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It does have a beautiful color! Let us know how it tastes.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yowzer! That looks stupendous!!!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish View Post
It does have a beautiful color! Let us know how it tastes.
It tastes amazing! The amount of smoke is perfect, and there is just a hint of sweet from the brown sugar. A little heavy on the salt, but I think that is from the second round of curing or not soaking in fresh water.

I find that the bacon does not produce much grease when frying it. We had to add just a bit of olive oil to the skillet.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

nice color and not much fat.

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote