The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
For smoked Kielbasa I use an 8mm or a 10mm plate

for other fresh sausages or summer sausage I use a 6mm plate

For Mortadella, Bologna, and frankfurters I use a 3mm Plate grind twice then emulsify with crushed ice before stuffing.
Exactly the same here.

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #17
cowgirl

I use a coarse grind for most sausages.
Getting ready to grind some venison for brats if I can stay awake long enough tonight.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #18
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

Since were on the topic of grinders, does anyone know where I can find a fine grinding plate for the Kitchen Aid? Both of the plates the attachment came with are pretty coarse and I'd like to try my hand at making hot dogs and bologna once I pick up a stuffer. Online searches really haven't come up with much.
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #19
gtr

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
Since were on the topic of grinders, does anyone know where I can find a fine grinding plate for the Kitchen Aid? Both of the plates the attachment came with are pretty coarse and I'd like to try my hand at making hot dogs and bologna once I pick up a stuffer. Online searches really haven't come up with much.
I am not aware of where to find one, but you can emulsify the meat with a food processor.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #20
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
For the current Kitchenaid grinder attachment I see only 1/4" and 3/16" plates available.

If you have an older model there is a 1/8" plate

To get a finer grind you can partially refreeze the product after the first grind and then regrind when partially frozen.

An other alternative is to go to a machine shop and ask them to make a plate with smaller holes similar to the plate you have. Just make sure when you reduce the size of the holes in the plate that you will have many more smaller holes or the grinder can back-up and possibly damage the drive. Grind with a larger plate then use you smaller plate.

Also on a web search I see that the "Oster" plate look similar to "Kitchenaid" grinder plates, I am not sure what their product line contains.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 11-16-2012 at 06:11 AM..
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote