The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
klanc48
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default venison in the freezer

I am new to this smoking thing...after watching youtube video from caveman about the Akorn Char-griller Kamado Kooker, i became hooked... i have some venison in the freezer (roast, tenderloin,ect)..need some ideas how to smoke it.... thanks for the help.... I am really enjoying this forum

klanc48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
MisterChrister
is One Chatty Farker

I'm sure you know how lean venison is which can make it difficult to Q. It can benefit greatly from a brine and foiling in a pan after it's taken on some smoke. Bacon strips can also help keep it from drying out. I like to brine the roasts for 24 hours, double butterfly them open, lay bacon strips inside with a little bit of low or no-salt rub (plenty of salt from the brine and bacon), roll them up, tie with butcher twine, and smoke indirect at 250 degrees until barely done; it's very important to not overcook venison as it's not very forgiving in that regard. If I'm not feeling lazy, I like to make a glaze with low-salt soy sauce, beef stock that has NOT been de-fatted, and a touch of molasses to paint on towards the end. IMO, venison tenderloins are best sliced 3/8" thick against the grain, dipped in a milk/egg-wash, breaded in flour with S&P, and pan-fried (cast iron skillet if you have one) in either butter or bacon fat (or both!)......damn I'm hungry for deer now!

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
firefighter4634
is one Smokin' Farker

[ IMO, venison tenderloins are best sliced 3/8" thick against the grain, dipped in a milk/egg-wash, breaded in flour with S&P, and pan-fried (cast iron skillet if you have one) in either butter or bacon fat (or both!)......damn I'm hungry for deer now![/QUOTE]

I just butchered a fresh doe last night and have the tenerloins marinating in some low sodium teriaky, from there season with some S&P buttery fly them and toss them on the green egg until an internal temp of 130 to 135.

Unread 11-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
klanc48
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks for the info... i will give it a try.....
klanc48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
grantw
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 3

Just don't try and low and slow it, 300 as a minimum temp. Salt , pepper say a tbs of each in a shaker and sprinkle it on brush lightly with oil first. Cook to 130 to 140 internal no more

Unread 11-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

It sounded like you have more that 1 cut of venison. If that's the case you could corn some then smoke then you will have some good pastrami.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
Chaser
Got Wood.

I always liked to marinate the whole loin in beer and your preferred marinade (dales seasoning or Italian dressing) and then wrap the loin with bacon and smoke around 275-300 till a internal temp of 130-135 and pull it off and let it rest for 30 min or so.
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote