The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

Default First attempt at Rabbit on the UDS with Pron

I got to talking with a guy who tells me his parents raise Rabbits for meat, and they supply local butchers with rabbit meat occasionally. We started talking BBQ, and the next thing I know he delivers five 4.5# rabbits in their frozen state, asking only for two to be returned prepared.

Here is my practice attempt.

Cloaked in Bacon.

Then into the smoke with Cherry wood @ 225 for 2 hours.
Then panned with chicken broth and Onions for another 2 hours.

It ate like chicken.

btw, my nine year old daughter's 'freakout factor' after the meal was priceless. She thinks rabbit is good, though. . . . Thanks for looking.

Beef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

That's some great looking easter bunny you got there.

I just cooked a rabbit last week that I picked up at an Asian market in northern Virginia. I think it was a four pounder and it wasn't bad at all. It just tasted like extremely dry chicken, but it wasn't one bit gamey. I've never been a fan of wild game and this doesn't change my mind, but at least I can now cross rabbit off my "must try" list.
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
MisterChrister
Babbling Farker

Looks awesome, got any leftovers? A few years ago, I brought home a dozen live meat rabbits in the back of my pickup. When I showed my 4 year old son, he said "Aaawww, they're cute! Can I hold one?" I replied "Nope". He asked "Can we keep one for a pet and I can name it?" Again, I replied "Nope". Then he says "Can we at least kill them and eat them then?". I literally almost pissed my pants laughing so hard!!! I grilled them and he ate almost two of them!

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
jmoney7269
Banned

nice, reminds me of my great grandma and her black cast iron skillet cookin them suckers up. my parents didnt tell me till years later that it was rabbit, so i kept eating it. just like chicken, slow cooked till it fell apart. that ol black cast iron cooked a many good meals. heck she would clean it and grease it back up for another meal 4 hrs later. thanks for sharing
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

That fork shot looks great!

All fueled by Ecobrasa Coco Briquettes

*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote